Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear Panhard Rod

IRLGW

So I'm looking for the ultimate shortcut, does anyone know if the 100 series panhard rod is the same leength as an 80? I'm actually hoping it is marginally longer with the 100 series being slightly wider.

Thwarted again, thanks Frank it was a good idea while it lasted..

I certainly would not go to the expense of adjustable ones - having made my own. The difference I found was very small indeed. Maybe 12mm? I know people have posted different results to that, but the correction really isn't much. Dead easy to cut the rod and put in an insert and weld it up.

I think I'd probably cut it and make a small spacer to go in loose. Check for alignment then adjust and weld in place once it was right. I went to the trouble of cutting LH and RH threads in mine with an adjuster so I could wind it in an out. Lot of work for a very small edition really. I'd probably make a sleeve with an internal H shape that I could put washers in as shims in one side, then once I have the final spacing correct, measure the rod from eye to eye and make it one piece again with the magic metal glue gun. Doing the front would then be just a repeat of the difference without the faffing.

Its only because the axle is offset to the right but I'm still not sure what to do about the spring setup.

In effect Roughtrax have it listed wrong on their website claiming 775mm when its a tad over 790mm as per Pedders own website. At the moment I don't even have the spare wheel underneath so I guess its how much the heavy duty springs will compress with say 50kg of bits onboard. It would actually make more sense to order a 2" lift on standard spring rate than fit Standard height but heavy duty, although I'm thinking of sending them back and just getting full standard set onboard.

I did briefly consider just throwing a 100 series one in there to see how it looked. However the old setup had dropped so much I could barely stand on the rear tyre to reach the roof rack so my axle must have been off the other way to begin with!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Bit of a cheap design really and only suited to low/level road speeds. I suppose it is a 4x4 though. No wonder if you hit a bump at high speeds it throws you off line with the axle moving from side to side.

Bit of a cheap design really and only suited to low/level road speeds. I suppose it is a 4x4 though. No wonder if you hit a bump at high speeds it throws you off line with the axle moving from side to side.

Agree Frank in some ways although a Watts Linkage like we used on the rally cars would be another complication . I don't think the travel induced by hitting a bump on the road would affect the alignment that much .....it's more a case of some heavy suspension and axle components bouncing around a bit ....£1000 plus a corner on some Proflex or Ohlins dampers would no doubt sort the problem ;-) .

Its only because the axle is offset to the right but I'm still not sure what to do about the spring setup.

In effect Roughtrax have it listed wrong on their website claiming 775mm when its a tad over 790mm as per Pedders own website. At the moment I don't even have the spare wheel underneath so I guess its how much the heavy duty springs will compress with say 50kg of bits onboard. It would actually make more sense to order a 2" lift on standard spring rate than fit Standard height but heavy duty, although I'm thinking of sending them back and just getting full standard set onboard.

I did briefly consider just throwing a 100 series one in there to see how it looked. However the old setup had dropped so much I could barely stand on the rear tyre to reach the roof rack so my axle must have been off the other way to begin with!

Unless you’re using strangerover classic springs, I don’t think 50 kg will give you any measurable compression...

I once loaded mine with about 850 kg of rockery rocks and it dropped about 50mm at a guess, and it drove beautifully, albeit a tad sluggish on hills (ahem) :lol:

Back