Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear suspension Prado KZJ95W

ekendraed

I own a Prado (1KZ-TE)+(KZJ95W) 1997 model.

I have recently replaced the rear coil springs with Toyota coil springs (part no: 48231-6A450) and fitted Tokico shockabsorbers. I did this as the rear was "bottoming" every time I went over a 3" to 4" road bumb. Unfortunately this did not help as the "bottoming" continued.

I have shown the vehicle to the OME and King Springs dealers in Colombo and they say that the coils are too soft. On a test done by the Kings dealer, he showed me that the space between the rear bump stopper and the axel was only about 3/4" with a load of three person in the back seat with a full tank of diesel.

I would like to purchase King coils and Ranco shocks since OME coil springs/shockabsorbers are relatively more expensive than King coil springs (part no: KTRR-59)/Rancho shockabsorbers (RS5000).

I shall be very grateful if I can receive expert views on which combination I should use. I have already spent quite a bit on Toyota/Tokico and I do now wish to make the wrong decision.

Thank you

Regards - Ekendra

Hi Ekendra,

I don't know how common 80 series might be in Sri Lanka but a set of 80 series front springs (standard OEM 80 springs) works very well installed in the rear of a 95. That's where my 80 series front springs ended up when I changed my suspension and as far as I know they are still doing well cruising through Morocco. So if you can find someone with an 80 who is changing their springs, grab hold of their old front springs ;)

You'll need shocks of the right length to cope with a rear suspension lift and they'll also need to match the spring rate. I suggest you sort out your load carrying ability (rear springs) first and then figure out the shocks. The nice thing about OME (Old Man Emu) is that the springs and shocks should come already matched.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Back