Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear window not working - where to start with the fix?

I'm saying nowt :lol:

The wax is just a sealant to stop moisture getting past the cables into the housing. You shouldn't have to disturb it to get at the brushes and commutator.

So now that i’ve gotten Truckasaurus back up & running again (going to check there are no air filter clips in the air box) i drove her around town to do some errands with my son, then tried to wind up his passenger window, and nothing. No noise from the motor/door at all when pushing the button from the drivers master switch, so i’m tempted to start there…

I've had this a few times in the past, caused by bad contacts on the switches. The driver's window uses more robust spring contacts but the rest use a simple rocker type which erode/corrode causing issues. If mine start playing up again I'm tempted to try one of these....Switch panel. Not sure if the OEM Toyota part is still available but you can bet it'll be way more expensive.

I think I found the culprit - take a look at that corrosion…

It worked again for a brief 10 mins today then died again.

Have ordered the replacement above (thank you!! @Towpack ) as we’re going away tmrw and I can’t drive with family in car & one window open.

Will update…

Attachments

• 9800403C-D524-47E7-AE20-BDA8C78102F8.jpeg
    9800403C-D524-47E7-AE20-BDA8C78102F8.jpeg
    245 KB · Views: 20
So I put the part I ordered in, and exactly the same behaviour as from the factory one, which means the switch isn't the issue.
So now it's debugging the window itself. If it isn't that, then it's somewhere from the switch to the door...
Going to start on it tmrw.

@Towpack some feedback on that part I ordered - quality is cheap & cheerful. I guess for £30 you can't expect too much - it's super plasticky, and looks it, so I'm not going to trust that it will last long, and just see it as a quick "get out of trouble" thing I can use when I need it, but am going to try get the factory one cleaned up, or get another one in better condition/maybe new. But only once I know what's going on...

I've had mine in bits 2 or 3 times to clean the contacts. I used a some very fine emery cloth and switch cleaner on the drivers spring type contacts and a fine oil stone on the rocker type contacts for the other windows as these can be lifted out quite easily after removing the cover.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
This is getting super small detail, but what do you think the best way is to clean the contacts on the wiring loom end (so the connector coming out of the door and inserting into the master switch) - looks like a bit of green corrosion getting in there and wondering if it’s creating a short or something.

Going to check if power gets to the motor as that will point in right direction - but the OCD in me has been wondering…

Electrical contact cleaner and a toothbrush style wire brush. The green corrosion may be causing resistance - especially if you can't see how far it goes under the insulation

Looks and sounds to me like the switch unit and wiring connector have got wet at some point although I can't see how unless the door was left open during heavy rain maybe. The contacts on mine were black due to spark erosion but no sign of damp based corrosion.

Back