Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Recovery Points for the 80

Ecoman

Country Flag
scotland
I'm in the process of looking for suitable recovery points for my 80. I currently have nothing on the front as both hooks have been removed and on the rear I have a tow bar with a combined ball and pin hitch assembly. I was worried about using that as a recovery point. Are my concerns justified? I know using the ball is strictly no as they can have a tendancy to shear off and become a cannon ball. I was on about using the pin hitch.

For the front I was looking for a bolt on eye or loop type fitting that I can attatch a shackle to but so far I can't find anything thats suitable. I would prefer this type as it means I can attach a strop without the risk of it sliding off or coming adrift. I only seem to find the hook type recovery points but not sure if these would have the correct bolt hole spacings for my chassis and I also can't find one thats rated more than 3500Kg with a clip to keep the strop secured. Can any one recommend anything that will do the job or know of somewhere that could make me something up?

For the rear I have been looking at the QT Services swivel type recovery point to attach to the four holes in my rear bumper. One thing that concerns me though, is this area strong enough to withstand a kinetic rope recovery? If not then how could I go about strengthening that point or can someone come up with a better solution.

Eventually when funds allow I will be buying a winch bumper for the front and a HD bumper and swing away wheel carrier for the rear. These will be complete with recovery points. However, i the mean time I need to find an alternative solution.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance :thumbup:

There are 3 threaded bolt holes near the front of each chassis rail. There was a bullbar on my car when I got it which was attatched to 4 of these. When I took the bar off I stuck these on. The shackles are 16mm and I think the plate is 8mm. Don't know if these would be strong enough for serious offroading but you could use thicker plate and bigger shackles and maybe even weld the plates on if you needed something stronger.
Tow.jpg

some angle like Towpack shows or the OEM pigtails which someone like Karl might have? I had a nato pintle hitch on the back bumper of my 80, wasn't shy about using it and it did pull that area of the rear cross member out a few mm over a few years of use but it didn't fail.

Thanks for the advice and info. :thumbup:

I have spoken to a friend of mine and if I can't find any suitable front ones then he is going to fab up some recovery points for me that will take large shackle.

I will be getting one of the QT Services swivel points ordered in the next few days. I was also going to get some side recovery points too for fitting a bridle on the back If anyone can recommend anything I would appreciate it, else I will just have to get my mate to make them at the same time.

Just reviving an old thread. I was thinking about recovery points and looking at the front OE units they can stay 'as is' as they still look healthy enough but now to the rear. Is/was there anything stock that can be bolted on there? I had the OE tow bar removed as it did not comply to Spanish inspection regulations. I decided to just leave the two pieces of angle iron bolted to the underside of the chassis rails, my thinking is with the ageing they do not stand out too much. After awhile I would drill a couple of holes for shackles and then leave them 'as is'. Yeh right, before I even drilled the holes I got instructed to remove them before presenting next year i.e. this coming December.

So was there ANYTHING that was stock bolted to the rear that could be used for recovery? Other than that I am going to have to add them to the 'project' list to be presented to the engineer and then on to the inspection which must be done AFTER the next inspection. I have looked through Rough Trax/Milners and nothing, my supplier in France has the front ones (at a price) but nothing for the rear.

regards

Dave

Just reviving an old thread. I was thinking about recovery points and looking at the front OE units they can stay 'as is' as they still look healthy enough but now to the rear. Is/was there anything stock that can be bolted on there? I had the OE tow bar removed as it did not comply to Spanish inspection regulations. I decided to just leave the two pieces of angle iron bolted to the underside of the chassis rails, my thinking is with the ageing they do not stand out too much. After awhile I would drill a couple of holes for shackles and then leave them 'as is'. Yeh right, before I even drilled the holes I got instructed to remove them before presenting next year i.e. this coming December.

So was there ANYTHING that was stock bolted to the rear that could be used for recovery? Other than that I am going to have to add them to the 'project' list to be presented to the engineer and then on to the inspection which must be done AFTER the next inspection. I have looked through Rough Trax/Milners and nothing, my supplier in France has the front ones (at a price) but nothing for the rear.

regards

Dave

As far as stock goes, I've seen these and and I've got a similar type which is longer, more bolt holes and it has an integral angle mount, to spread the load more evenly (but it's in my shed 110km away and I don't have a photo...)

image.png

TBH, I'd prefer something with at least a three bolt mount.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My 1 ton hoist hook is held on by a 6mm bolt at right angles. There must be quite a tolerance so I'm guessing the shear load of steel is much less than this diameter. I don't understand how to calculate a shear force with kinetic energy. Is it related to mass x velocity? It must also be related to the vehicle being pulled. If I think someone is about to drive into the back of me in a stationary queue I put the brakes on hoping this will weld me to the road and I won't move.

@ Clive, that does at least look like something that could be bolted on and not attract too much attention? @Frank a 1 ton hook under there is not going to cut it mate I'm afraid. :icon-biggrin:

My plan is to take some pictures to the ITV station before buying and see if I need 'homogolado' certificates, I am getting tired of the paperwork....................really tired!

regards

Dave

Surely Dave, can't you simply unbolt them for the test? I should get my truck re-engineered, but it's so easy to bypass the system and I know the truck is not less safe because I have bigger tyres & HID lights...:whistle:

regards

Dave

I thought the UK MOT was quite strict but it sounds like a walk in the park compared to Spain!

I thought the UK MOT was quite strict but it sounds like a walk in the park compared to Spain!

I too thought the same, the problem is it lacks consistency. My car has been legally ILLEGAL for four years now............depending where I am driving when I get stopped and how many passengers I have!

Eight seats is a no no, so when it was matriculated in Almeria I was told remove one of the seat belts, this makes it a seven seater (only five seats were sold OE in Spain) but seven is OK, if the 'intent' is not there to carry eight.

The first time I took it for an inspection in Murcia it failed as I had eight seats and only 7 belts.....go figure!

@Clive, the real issue is if anything looks out of the unusual then it gets pulled, years ago I used to turn up every six months with my LR Discovery for inspection and I only had to remove the large wheels and tyres, all the armour, serious heavy gear for competition, winch, rock sliders, high suspension, dislocation cones, snorkel all stayed in place. Sold the car after four years (eight inspections all passed bar a cracked mirror) and the first time the new owner took it for an inspection it failed on pretty much everything bolted on....different province so different rules apply.

regards

Dave

Try an equivalent to an MOT here in Tanzania! Absolute nightmare! Send the driver down to the local police station with 10,000 shillings (about $4.5) and come back with a sticker that says your vehicle is roadworthy! Just don't send your vehicle down because if they know it belongs to a mzungu they'll find something to extract a "fine" out of you.
This lot would licence your lawnmower just for the revenue if they thought they could get away with it !

Back