Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

relay box in engine bay

Rosy

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Afternoon all,

So after losing my lightbar relay to moisture in less than 6 months I decided it would be wise to review my chosen location and try and provide a more protective environment for its replacement and the others to come.

At the moment the relay is attached to the drivers side wing adjacent to the airbox which I thought would be relatively well protected but this didn't turn out to be the case.

My question is what weatherproof relay boxes do you folks use and where/how have you located them within the engine bay?

Particularly interested in @clivehorridge setup who, IIRC, has going on 11 relays floating around the engine bay! :)

Cheers folks
Rosy

Afternoon all,

So after losing my lightbar relay to moisture in less than 6 months I decided it would be wise to review my chosen location and try and provide a more protective environment for its replacement and the others to come.

At the moment the relay is attached to the drivers side wing adjacent to the airbox which I thought would be relatively well protected but this didn't turn out to be the case.

My question is what weatherproof relay boxes do you folks use and where/how have you located them within the engine bay?

Particularly interested in @clivehorridge setup who, IIRC, has going on 11 relays floating around the engine bay! :)

Cheers folks
Rosy

I’ve got a dedicated relay box, home-made as it happens, but it serves the purpose.

Originally, it was the casing of a UPS PC backup pack, that died, so I salvaged it.

It gave me a nice plug-in facility (the UPS power input) and some compartments that allowed relays to be wired in and then packed in such a way that they don’t interfere with each other or romp about.

It’s plastic, and I can’t pretend that it’s waterproof, but its quite well sealed, outlet cables have well fitting rubber grommets and I’ve mounted it high up just behind the under-bonnet fuse box.

To avoid condensation/damp collecting, I’ve packed 5 or six silicone gel desiccant packs inside, as well.

Thankfully, I’ve got plenty of space under the hood with no ABS or turbo to get in the way, so it was no problem to mount. Being plug-in, I can just unplug it to remove it.

If I wasn’t so lazy I’d take a photo, but as it’s home-made, a pic wont be very helpful to you.

It’s not as nice as the “Bussman” in Marks post, but it’s done the job for the last ??2 or 3?? years without any issues... touch-wood...

Maplins do these small outdoor junction boxes which have a few mounting options. Maybe look at those as a way to isolate the weather ?

To avoid condensation/damp collecting, I’ve packed 5 or six silicone gel desiccant packs inside, as well.

clever thinking there Clive, I must admit i think my problem is more to do with condensation than immersion. I drive around puddles in the 80 to prevent necessary water exposure much to the amusement of the missus.

A simple enclosure to keep out the road spray out coupled with an absorber might just do the trick!

Maplins do these small outdoor junction boxes which have a few mounting options. Maybe look at those as a way to isolate the weather ?

thats a good place to start KB, I might pick up a box from screwfix tomorrow and have a play

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have a couple of relays mounted and exposed in the engine bay. I just sprayed the insides with Corrosion Block and that's all they needed. If you're just mounting the odd relay and it's condensation, not full immersion you're guarding against you don't really need fancy waterproof enclosures. JMO

I go on the theory that no box or container can be watertight and moisture-free, unless the components are bonded in a resin block or such-like, condensation seems to get into everything, eventually.

But a “sealed” box with some silicone gel packs in it will help to minimize the damp IMO.

:shock: :doh::eusa-snooty:

:laughing-rolling:

Err, how do you know it's moisture that's killed it Rosy?

I opened it up after I noticed my light bar flickering while parked. Everything was rusted through and, despite my best efforts to avoid exposure the internals were noticeably wet to the touch.

I'll post some photos if i ever get my phone back from apple!

This is where i mounted mines.. yet to be tested long term yet..

Unless am in deep deep water i dont see an issue. On exhaust side so surely the heat from there will help

20180121_131057.jpg

This is where i mounted mines.. yet to be tested long term yet..

Unless am in deep deep water i dont see an issue. On exhaust side so surely the heat from there will help

View attachment 139465

looks like a tidy spot for it Lexie, i was thinking about putting mine there as well

Simple wee bracket and iv another relay block ordered , they just clip together

I have three relays fixed to the air filter canister, they control the electric engine cooling fan and and incorporate AC switching and give proper AC temperature control.

I cannot remember the brand (IIRC begins with 'N') but they are a high quality waterproof relay, I then coat the socket terminals with dielectric grease, slide the relays in and job done.

These have been in a couple of years and no problem. Having said that, now going over to a PWM controlled fan with the controller under the dashboard.

Regards

Dave

I had to relocate to air filter canister aswell.

20180126_223100.jpg

Back