Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Repair tape.

Aha! Good old self amalgamating tape.
But have you seen this stuff…

I think that that is similar, it’s silicone based rather than the normal self amalgamating stuff. I’ve had a bit in petrol overnight and it’s untouched, the normal stuff just dissolves. It is very sticky to itself and stretches out to about 3 or 4 times its normal length when wrapping round things, but leaves no residue if removed. There is a cheaper version, Silweld, but not as tough apparently.

The Alfa tape sticks the instant it even lightly touches another bit of itself. It can be removed with a knife without having stuck to what you applied it to. It withstands something like 15kV per layer (HT lead repair). They also do a gap filling putty for stuffing in between cables etc like in the middle of three cores for example. Alfa smooth.

I know what you mean about the old SA tape. It would go all gooey.

We used to use the old type SA tape at work but as it was organic rubber it would gradually perish and be broken down by microbes unless it was sealed with a layer of PVC tape etc.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looks like standard insulation tape to me Chas with a very ambiguous description.

Looks like standard insulation tape to me Chas with a very ambiguous description.
That particular Self Amalgamating Repair Tape was the cheapest one I could find but if you do a search on eBay there are masses to pick from.

The Alfa tape sticks the instant it even lightly touches another bit of itself. It can be removed with a knife without having stuck to what you applied it to. It withstands something like 15kV per layer (HT lead repair). They also do a gap filling putty for stuffing in between cables etc like in the middle of three cores for example. Alfa smooth.

I know what you mean about the old SA tape. It would go all gooey.
What surprised me in the vid was that the water spraying everywhere did not pose a problem for the tape.

You'd think it would only bond under dry or ideal conditions.

It bonds on a molecular level Clive. There is no adhesive involved. And it only ever bonds to itself or similar products like the Alfa Smooth.

It bonds on a molecular level Clive. There is no adhesive involved. And it only ever bonds to itself or similar products like the Alfa Smooth.

Had a friend split a radiator hose in his range rover and the AA man repaired it with glue and kraken tape which seemed to be very effective stuff.

Rob

Back