Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Repairing a vandalised ignition barrel.

Toyo Boyo

Country Flag
wales
Hello all,

So some oik has broken into my truck an smashed a door lock, a window and the ignition

5E3ACC40-4987-480D-92D8-6CF535E58FF0.jpeg

Toyota confirm all parts are no longer available.
However, all parts now sourced from 80breaker

I’ve got to reset the immobiliser, then replace the steering lock.

Has anyone done this?

Any pointers greatly appreciated, thanks

Andrew

Sorry to hear this Andy. Strangely when I was at Krown yesterday reading old classic car magazines there was a lot of stories of older motors being more likely to get stolen and vandalised than newer/later models. Hope you get it sorted, at least they didn't have it away.

Theres a lot of newer motors getting nicked with keyless entry / start.
I must admit having a little chuckle to myself last week when the Tesla App failed and no-one could get into their car let alone drive anywhere, I looked at my worn out ignition key and thought 'yep, they had no backup plan'!

The Tesla app is in addition to the plastic key card. I wouldn't solely trust a app and as such I always have the card in my wallet. Having said that never needed to use it yet

The Tesla app is in addition to the plastic key card. I wouldn't solely trust a app and as such I always have the card in my wallet. Having said that never needed to use it yet
I Stand corrected TonyP it does mention a key in the article. Puzzles me then why so many rely on technology, guess the plastic backup key is too heavy and bulky to carry round!? :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Don't know. I soon realised not to rely on the App or phone when I could not unlock it at a supercharger.... Spent about 30mins restarting phone etc .. I know always carry the card and an neurotic about leaving either the phone or wallet in the car, as I'm sure it will lock me out after closing the doors

Update -

Using the barrel & key, I can turn the ignition and the engine will crank but not start. It does this when I hold the little white switch ’closed’ (apparently this tells the transducer the correct key is being used).

Does anyone know of an immobiliser reset?

Thanks

Andrew

I think might need to have your original key taped up to the transducer or kept close to the inserted key?

I’m using the original key and its physically where it should be.

When I found the damage on Sunday I managed to get the car to start (for a few seconds) but then I let go of the micro switch so it died.

Haven’t got it to run since.

It feels like the immobiliser needs to be reset??

If you have the original owners handbook there may be some clues in there.
I think vandals ought to be forced at gunpoint to repair damage and if they don't know how to to start learning at gunpoint. So many of us on here learn and work hard to keep our cars nice only for some animal to come along and vandalise.

Thank Frank,

I’ve got the battery disconnected at the moment to see if that resets it.

Parts have arrived so maybe I can get this sorted soon

Andrew

I assume there was no damage to any wiring around the lock or key transducer or the transducer itself? My only guess might be that the key isn’t being read?

Hi Jake,

None as far as I can see.

Looking at the replacement parts, it looks like there’s a double switch arrangement below the ignition barrel.

Maybe both have to be engaged in the correct manner before it will start?

We’ll find out soon.

The reset on mine used to be remove battery terminals, switch on key, replace battery terminals, then start. On mine now the reset does not last.

I assume there was no damage to any wiring around the lock or key transducer or the transducer itself? My only guess might be that the key isn’t being read?
Jake, you get the cigar! The truck is back up & running

There is an immobiliser ring that sits around the top of the ignition barrel. This was smashed & missing. I have replaced it with an old Corolla version as I couldn’t get a Landcruiser variant. This ‘reads’ the key.

21E6585F-C451-4978-A491-51E92A7546B1.jpeg792BBA8B-A6A0-4034-8B51-36514A70DC4B.jpeg

The small white plug connects the ring to the ECU.

The truck will only start if the original key is in the ring; nearby is not good enough.

Back