Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Replacement CV's

Justin_Elliott said:
Thanks to the idiot proof pictures (cheers Ian) - I can confirm I have thin flanges...

I was/am only intending on changing over the one CV - is it worth changing to the thicker drive flange on individual sides...

you might not have any choice- if you buy a new CV its likely to require thicker flangers- you cannot use narrow flanged drive members on long CVs (you get oil all over the place- its not good!)

Thanks for the advice. Will look into this a little further.

I think I will replace this one side with middle of the road option for now and look to change both sides to OEM (+ thicker drive flanges) prior to any major excursions...

J

I think if you're buying OEM you can still get the shorter shaft CV's but aren't all the after market CV's the longer ones that are designed for thicker flanges?

To be honest changing to the thicker flanges is a minor complication now so not too fussed if I need to replace it. I can't say I like the idea of having different build standards on either side of the truck - but it sounds better than replacing a perfectly ok CV ahead of its time especially as there isn't excessive wear on the RH...

I guess there shouldn't be any problem with running 1 thick and 1 thin... :?:

Justin_Elliott said:
I guess there shouldn't be any problem with running 1 thick and 1 thin... :?:
Not that I can think of but I've never tried it.

i ran mine like that for a little while (few months) with no problems- can't think whey there would be any probs either really- potentially because one is stronger than the other (maybe).

really woudlnt' worry about it though- doubt you'll ever notice.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looks like I'm heading down the same route... I'll definitely give it a mention if it doesn't work! :pray:

Back