Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Replacing front wheel bearings using FSM

Well done, James! Sounds like you had it tougher than most but on the flip side, you know how to do it now :lol:
Presume Ian had everything you needed?

BTW what did the wheel bearings look like when you finally got the hub off? Any pics for the morbidly curious among us? :ugeek:

Cheers,

Andrew Prince said:
BTW what did the wheel bearings look like when you finally got the hub off?

I'd hazard a guess at not very round any more :mrgreen: I've seen some where the rollers have merged into one mass and another where the 'rollers' were shaped like a chocolate block!

Andrew Prince said:
Well done, James! Sounds like you had it tougher than most but on the flip side, you know how to do it now :lol:
Presume Ian had everything you needed?

BTW what did the wheel bearings look like when you finally got the hub off? Any pics for the morbidly curious among us? :ugeek:

Cheers,

Yeah thankfully Ian had all the bits and really helped me out as I would have been in a right pickle otherwise.
I know it's probably my imagination but I swear it drives so much better now (even before the wheel bearing noise arrived) and the engine is smoother also feels a little eager to rev (adjusted the timing and it seemed to work well).

Also managed to remove the old fashioned double din satnav system that came with it and fitted a new Sony headunit and put a Midland CB in the lower space (not a good fit but I think there are brackets that can be bought). Had a good play with the rear diff accuator but could get access to it. So instead oil anything I could that looked like it needed it and kept turned it on and off whilst Dan gave it some taps with a hammer and it started making all kinds of funky grinding noises both when locking and unlocking the diff. Front works beautifully but rear still got working but is making more noise than before which I don't know if thats a good thing or not.

All thats left now to prepare for my Morocco trip is to sort out rear diff lock, mount larger cb aerial, clean the interior properly, test and regas AC, and fit the Hancook Dynapros. Think I shall sort out the AC and the tyres tommorow. Got an annoying rattle that occurs under moderate acceleration (accelerate a little harder and it goes away) can't find anything loose, could it be a cat on the way out?

As for the bearing that came out.... The outer bearing was in a million pieces and just seemed to have shattered everwhere and the inner bearing had got so hot that it had started to melt and had locked some of the bearings in place, the stub axle has got bits of molten metal all over it.

I actually really enjoyed the last couple of days, been a little stressful and headache causing at times but it's been great. I don't think I would have been able to enjoy it at all if it wasn't for the help I got from you guys and my mate Dan who did a lot of the harder stuff for me and showed me how to do stuff that I wasn't sure about.

Hopefully see some of you at Charlton Chalk Pits on the 27th sadly I can't make it to Lincomb as I had this Sunday off I've got to work next Sunday.

Back