Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Replacing Tail Gate Gas Struts

I'll be fitting the bonnet ones tomorrow so hopefully they'll be ok.

Just watch when you do the tailgate - one strut is not enough to hold the tailgate up :)

Ouch...

Old vs new
2d6c468040a915bd5183c6a7ede2218b.jpg
52a0deefd7592be921e8c72c5cb57050.jpg

I have just ordered a pair from the same seller, thanks for the heads up

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mine do not hold the tailgate up properly in the morning, as the sun comes up and they warm they work fine, the gas has obviously lost some pressure. I like the stock height as it will not interfere with the solar panel pulled out from the roof rack when camping.

Being located where I am I reckon the cheap Chinese knock offs with free p&p will do the job.

regards

Dave

To add to the topic. I just purchased some rear struts off eBay and have been impressed.

Came quick and well packaged

a98a4132b3b6c25dce36f09b8221b334.jpg

OEM has the silver sticker on it and the new one is slightly longer but only just.

The ends on the OEM are very loose with worn plastic bushes/spacers and I can compress them with ease. The new ones are bloody hard to even slightly compress.

On removing just one the tailgate wanted to just drop but on installing just one of the new ones it held the tailgate all on its own open.

Only time will tell but at £19 for the pair delivered from China I can't complain.

Bought here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171631866698?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I bought the same ones off eBay, were listed at £22 but paid £20 I think? Prompt delivery and have been excellent so far, much stronger than the tired originals!

Mine came this morning and ordered on the 15th of this month so that's pretty good. Just fitted them and looks all good but time will tell as they say

Mine came this morning and ordered on the 15th of this month so that's pretty good....
Same here almost, ordered late in the day on the 14th and they arrived thus morning.

Do you reckon the ebay ones would have enough pressure to hold the tailgate up with a rear roof rack ladder attached?
I have a ladder on its way and it weighs about 10lbs, which my OE struts have no chance handling.

Have to wonder how much these cost to make considering the seller is giving free P&P and still making a profit :wtf:

Dave.

I reckon they would easily, I can go outside and pull down with a digital scale to measure the force required to get it to move if that helps.

I would expect they would take twice that with ease, even a year on.

oops, typo. Should have been 10kgs.
Thanks for replies. At that price probably worth a go anyhow. Could be no worse than what I have on there now.

Dave.

I have the eBay ones. I have a ladder on the top tailgate. No issue at all - still need a bit of force to move the tailgate down ...

Just tried it with my socket set on a cold morning (3 C) and with it on the lower edge it did cause it to dip. But spread across as a ladder would be, no problem. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424511462.756831.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1424511496.041816.jpg

Just over 20 pounds. You might be ok at 10kg or 22 pounds, just.

thanks again fellas. Will give them a go. If nothing else can use them as temporary struts when send originals off to SGS if they don't work out.
At that money can't complain.

Dave.

Have to wonder how much these cost to make considering the seller is giving free P&P and still making a profit :wtf:

Dave.

The same it costs Toyota to make them, but without the 200% profit margin..!

Back