Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Retro-fit cruise control?

MikesVX80

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Is it possible to retro-fit cruise control to an 80-Series? Mine is a '93 VX manual, and it's something I would really appreciate on the long motorway slogs across Europe!

Don't know if anyone on here's done it but it'll probably be a lot more involved than on later Toyota vehicles with ECU controlled electronic fuelling and drive by wire throttles etc. The 80's OEM CC is a bit belt and braces and can best be described as electro-mechanical. The 80 series has a generic wiring loom with add on 'sub looms' for different kit in different markets. Assuming the wiring for CC is there, you'll need the control stalk, the servo operated throttle actuator and new throttle cables and the CC ECU.
Might be easier and cheaper to look into possible after market alternatives. JMO

I fitted a bolt on cruise control made by Sears to my Mk1 Shogun. The kit had a vacuum servo that pulled a Bowden cable that was attached via some plug chain to the throttle linkage. Worked extremely well once set up. Can't see any reason why you couldn't fit one to an 80.

Been looking at this myself, the roads here lend their self perfectly. I have been on to Karl and asked him to keep an eye out for a kit, I think it would be easier...ish if you could get all the parts from a donor car in one go. I have heard about third party kit availability and Australia seems to be the place to look and seem to be the way to go if an OE kit is not available.

regards

Dave

I fitted a bolt on cruise control made by Sears to my Mk1 Shogun. The kit had a vacuum servo that pulled a Bowden cable that was attached via some plug chain to the throttle linkage. Worked extremely well once set up. Can't see any reason why you couldn't fit one to an 80.

mine is a 93 vx auto with a cruise control, fitted prior to my owner ship but it is similar to what Starcruiser describes.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
lc cruise control 001.jpglc cruise control 002.jpglc cruise control 003.jpglc cruise control 004.jpgthere is no name on the cruise control unit, so heres a few pics of it,
the main unit has the blue label on it.

Hmm, that's not the Sears one I found and fitted. That's all electric by the looks of it. Sorry, don't recognise it but it looks like a purpose made kit not generic bracketry like mine had.

That's great, thanks John - looks like a proper kit!

just found and checked the paper work i got with the truck,
i think it might have been fitted by Whichford Toyota, Maidenhead.

Back