Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rolling front suspension

Rob Cowell

Country Flag
wales
So having done my front anti-rollbar bushes, and steering rack bushes in the last few weeks I'm rolling a lot less than I was. But it still feels too much to me. I'm comparing to my old 90 rather than road car here. It's as if the shocks are buggered and a roll to one side takes 3 or 4 bounces either side to stabilise. But bouncing on a corner when the car is stopped all feels very solid - as if the shocks are fine.

Jacked up the front again today and given the wheel a shake. No clunks anywhere, but I can see a tiny bit of movement in the top wishbones where they mount to the chassis. When moving a wheel with hands at 3 and 9 the bushes seem to flex slightly allowing some movement towards me. Should I see any movement at all? Or am I looking at new bushes?

As I'm rolling I wonder if the drop links for the rollbar could be worn? Is there any way to tell without removing them? And anyway to tell if ball joints are worn?

Current thinking is to change the drop links because that's cheap and easy. Not fancying gaps in the rain at the moment to be tackling wishbones. Especially the lower ones!

What do you think?

Hi Rob, I've got to do a bit around that area in the next few weeks. MOT is due first week of June. I always find the front left takes a battering from what must be the copious amount of round abouts. Can's say I know enough about it all but will have a poke and a prod soon. As you say weather permitting.

Flash of inspiration. Wondering if back roll bar bushes could be shot. No obvious play in the bar but while I was on the floor found one of upper control arms very wobbly. Got replacement Milners bushes today, for no other reason than they send stuff very quickly. Got some rear roll bar bushes at same time cos they should be easy too. Thought I,d make a start tonight by wire brushing and hitting threads with plus gas. And wouldn't you know it, neither arm wobbles and I can't remember which one did. Anyway, hopefully swap out some bits this weekend and hope for the best. Got 800 miles to drive following Friday.

So it was control arm bushes. Changed top arm and feels loads better. Can see at least one bottom arm bush is very soft. Job for next week.

Back