Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Romania 2015

Still thinking about your varnish woes Clive and it occurs to me that in its drive to ban all things good and proper the EU are also trying to rid us of oil based paint . I did my homemade stable back door with Ronseal exterior varnish and it lasted maybe a year so it obviously wasn't oil based .

2Q==

This is proper varnish .

Copy and paste from the web didn't work so just google International yacht varnish its in a mostly red tin .

Last edited:
Well at last, a day came along on Sunday, where we had nothing planned. Today Monday, is a religious holiday, so I even have time to post up some photos of a trip from Seceria (the village a few km behind my place) and Azuga, all offroad on horse & cart tracks, and most of it along the ridge at an altitude of about 1,400m...

I thought it would be good for one of the runs for the pending visit. It's not a difficult road, lovely views and certainly not scratchy, for those with paint on their trucks :lol:

Apologies for the quality of photos, all iPhone & iPad, because stupid me forgot his camera... :icon-rolleyes:

View attachment 19441

View attachment 19442

View attachment 19443

View attachment 19444

View attachment 19445

View attachment 19446

IMG_4614.JPG

IMG_4615.JPG

IMG_4616.JPG

IMG_4617.JPG

IMG_4618.JPG

IMG_4619.JPG

IMG_4620.JPG

IMG_4621.JPG

IMG_4622.JPG

IMG_4623.JPG

IMG_4624.JPG

IMG_4625.JPG

IMG_4626.JPG

IMG_4627.JPG

IMG_4628.JPG

IMG_4629.JPG

IMG_4630.JPG

IMG_4631.JPG

IMG_4632.JPG

IMG_4633.JPG

IMG_4634.JPG

IMG_4635.JPG

IMG_4636.JPG

IMG_4637.JPG

IMG_4638.JPG

IMG_4639.JPG

IMG_4640.JPG

IMG_4641.JPG

IMG_4642.JPG

IMG_4643.JPG

IMG_4644.JPG

IMG_4645.JPG

IMG_4646.JPG

IMG_4647.JPG

IMG_4648.JPG

The token "snow" photo :icon-biggrin:
IMG_4649.JPG

IMG_4650.JPG

IMG_4651.JPG

IMG_4656.JPG

IMG_4657.JPG

IMG_4659.JPG

IMG_4660.JPG

IMG_4661.JPG

IMG_4662.JPG

IMG_4663.JPG

IMG_4664.JPG

IMG_4665.JPG

IMG_4666.JPG

IMG_4667.JPG

IMG_4668.JPG

IMG_5055.JPG

IMG_5055.JPG

IMG_5056.JPG

There's more (but I'm going out again today) :icon-biggrin:

Last edited:
Some gorgeous scenery there Clive, and pics not bad for non-camera.

Nothing wrong with a good iPhone picture Clive

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Some gorgeous scenery there Clive, and pics not bad for non-camera.

It sure is Chas, I had the chance to refresh my memory this weekend!

The Apple stuff isn't bad, but I miss the zoom of a photo camera. Zoom an iPhone, and the photo falls apart :lol:

Still thinking about your varnish woes Clive and it occurs to me that in its drive to ban all things good and proper the EU are also trying to rid us of oil based paint . I did my homemade stable back door with Ronseal exterior varnish and it lasted maybe a year so it obviously wasn't oil based .

2Q==

This is proper varnish .

Copy and paste from the web didn't work so just google International yacht varnish its in a mostly red tin .

We used international on all the interior and decking of the mirror dinghy that my father built when I was about 14, and my brother still has and uses that boat after 48 years or so. It hasn't lifted at all and it's barely chipped either. It's amazing stuff. :thumbup:

I thought it would be good for one of the runs for the pending visit. It's not a difficult road, lovely views and certainly not scratchy, for those with paint on their trucks :lol:
Speaking for myself I'm well past having to worry about scratches. :oops:

Funny how that works Chas your truck has obviously soldiered its way through many a battle and i've seen plenty of pictures of the wounds its endured , i was there when you smashed the window at Lincomb , and i would like to say that despite all this (or perhaps because of it ?) there is no air of neglect about your truck at all its a solid lump of metal and i bet it would still polish up like the best of them :thumbup:

OK, for those still awake, the rest of the images from post #682 above...

IMG_5057.JPG

IMG_5058.JPG

IMG_5059.JPG

IMG_5060.JPG

IMG_5061.JPG

IMG_5062.JPG

IMG_5063.JPG

IMG_5064.JPG

IMG_5065.JPG

IMG_5066.JPG

IMG_5067.JPG

IMG_5068.JPG

IMG_5069.JPG

IMG_5070.JPG

IMG_5071.JPG

IMG_5072.JPG

IMG_5073.JPG

IMG_5074.JPG

IMG_5075.JPG

IMG_5076.JPG

IMG_5077.JPG

IMG_5078.JPG

IMG_5079.JPG

IMG_5080.JPG

IMG_5081.JPG

IMG_5082.JPG

IMG_5083.JPG

IMG_5084.JPG

IMG_5085.JPG

Funny how that works Chas your truck has obviously soldiered its way through many a battle and i've seen plenty of pictures of the wounds its endured , i was there when you smashed the window at Lincomb , and i would like to say that despite all this (or perhaps because of it ?) there is no air of neglect about your truck at all its a solid lump of metal and i bet it would still polish up like the best of them :thumbup:

Well I have to admit I have neglected the bodywork side of things but apart from the numerous dents and scrapes it's not too bad, ie; virtually no signs of rust. One of these days, I know it will be expensive but given a Premium Bond win :pray: I'll treat the old girl to a complete makeover.

Have to say I envy you Clive, if I could figure out a way to live there I'd be very tempted. If only you weren't in the EU I'd call it nearly perfect.

Have to say I envy you Clive, if I could figure out a way to live there I'd be very tempted. If only you weren't in the EU I'd call it nearly perfect.

True enough yogi, but in a practical sense, EU membership hasn't had much effect yet, but I'm sure it will in time.

Britain has resisted full membership, meaning adopting the Euro currency and other aspects which would erode "Sovereignty" control, but Romania has a lot to gain from membership. Despite that, most of the promises that it's committed to are being approached with lethargy.

Anti-corruption in government and local authorities is always in the news, but they only seem to scratch the surface of the real problem. For mere citizens, life goes on much the same.

Access to the mountains is starting to see some restrictions in places, but it's limited so far. Romania is developing slowly, but in 90% of the country, the horse and cart is still the mainstay form of transport in rural areas. They are not allowed on the national roads anymore, so they need to maintain the mountain tracks. For me that's great because the Local authorities make some efforts to keep the tracks operational at a minimum standard. What really pees me off is the quad brigade, when they go on the mountain doing doughnuts and generally doing environmental damage for no reason. The number of motor vehicle ban signs that have appeared since quads became popular is noticeable.

On my trip on Sunday, there were 4 motorcycles doing the same run and they were well behaved, and we met about 10 mountain bikers coming the other way who were really enjoying themselves.

So forget about the effect of the EU in our lifetime (well maybe the next 25-30 years) I don't think it will have real impact for a long time to come.

Been down to the house in France for a couple of weeks, doesn't seem to be any news on the trip, it's still happening I hope!
Lyn.

Been down to the house in France for a couple of weeks, doesn't seem to be any news on the trip, it's still happening I hope!
Lyn.

OK, I think it's time for all those intending to come to make themselves known, please start a list!

I thought there is a list somewhere?

Hi Lyn , please don't let the lack of conversation deter you i think it results from the 3 vehicles definitely making this trip - Ratrace , Chas and myself being comfortable with the journey ahead so there isn't much to discuss . I'm sure a question a day would be well received by all if you can offer any ? .

This trip will be the first of its kind for me and i am looking forward to it , but because it's a first i've no idea what to expect nor how to plan in advance , however i do have a destination to head for and a truck that will get me there which is good enough for me :icon-wink:

I thought there is a list somewhere?

I tried to keep one going Chas and updated it a few times, then a bunch dropped out, some others were silent, and then some late interest from the likes of Lyn. It's not essential, but it would be nice to know what to expect.
The likes of you Chas, Shayne and Ratrace are certs, then there's Lyn making 4, all I'm asking is will there be more?

Back