Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Roof bars

Gary820

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Apart from removed them and fitted something else, has anyone done anything with the standard roof bars to make them more functional? I keep looking at them and trying to come up with some ideas.
I like how they look and don't need to carry loads up there (camping gear etc) didn't want to just bolt something to the top but inspiration is lacking a little lol.

Mine was useless so it's hanging in the shed. The cross bars were loose and it had been used and overloaded so it had dented the roof.

Filled the roof holes now so I should sling it.:lol:

Thinking of adding some bracing and making a proper base just gotta figure out how lol.

Thinking of adding some bracing and making a proper base just gotta figure out how lol.

Sorry Gary, you said apart from changing it and I suggested changing it!

I'm not much more help because I pondered over what to do with it for months before I trashed it. It's very weak and can't carry anything substantive, cos the roof just bends. It's rated 70 kg which is not a lot.

Doubt I'd use it for anything heavy tbh it's why not wanting a full rack, do like how the bars look. Gotta be someway of making it useable :think:

I'm with you all the the way Gary. The roof bars set the 80 Amazon on in my opinon.

As I said on my thread. My roof tent sits up there and I have done a fair few miles with it on now. My rack and roof are still fine. I think I will just make a bit of a frame that I can simply sit in the gutter and be permanently bolted to the RTT for when it isn't in use. I have never wanted to remove the standard rack and don't think I ever will.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
you just need some broom handles and zip ties like Karl does and you're sorted Gary :lol:

I think if go for a rack it'd be something like the Thule ally type ones but would want to incorporate it into the stock bars. It'd only be for stuff like a tent (not a rtt just normal one) and general camping gear so nothing heavy. Could end up with one that bolts on when need it but seems hassle lol.
Plenty time to think about it, when's lincomb :lol:

Back