Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Roof Rack Ladder Options 100 Series

SteveS

So I've got my rack installed and now I need to get a ladder to get up on the rack and sort out the roof tent. I have in mind to get a Front Runner Spare Wheel Step but what other options are there?

I've seen a Gobi ladder that mounts on the rear hatch - may add extra weight and cause the struts to struggle. Anybody import these into the UK?

Some other options I've thought about include a ladder that could hang off the side of the rack (sort of like a swimming pool ladder) and lean against the side steps (ie off the paint work) - removed when you don't want to use it. Anybody seen anything like this?

Possibly a ladder mounted to a swing-away

DIY concertina ladders

Toyota 105 style bolt on rear quarter steps on the D pillar - anybody make these cheaper?

Potentially a clip on attachment to the existing Hannibal RTT ladder to make it dual purpose

Any other great ideas?

Mine was fabbed to order and it's fixed to the back door of my 80, but it could have been made to sling or hook off the rack quite easily, with a couple of safety latches to stop it slipping off. It might give you some ideas.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Has anyone used one of these from Direct 4x4?

A3BCA6E1-FE09-4C6C-AB7D-F5A61AC9097B.jpeg

I don’t know why I even ask - it looks ugly, flimsy and completely messes up your tailgate, which is one of my favourite things on any Land Cruiser.

At the same time it’s cheap, easy to fit and could be OK after some tweaking and a powder coat.

there are a few things that direct4x4 do that are great. This ladder is not on that list ( imho, having seen them in person ) - its very flimsy

there are a few things that direct4x4 do that are great. This ladder is not on that list ( imho, having seen them in person ) - its very flimsy

Thanks for that - confirms my suspicions.

I called at their warehouse on my way through Derby and it’s just like you’d expect: a plain and prosaic unmanned showroom inside and artics queuing up to offload outside. They definitely seem to be doing something right.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Like Clive's mine was made to order by Julian V and it's fixed to the back door of my 80, Just attached by four bolts, two top and two centre, It might give you some ideas.

Ladder.jpg

You could look at something like this

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/be/telescopic-ladder-support-bracket.html

Front runner do a telescopic ladder but its stupidly expensive but I imagine that most telescopic ladders would fit.

Alternatively I saw these ladder rungs mounted to the rear pillar of a land Cruiser although for the life of me I can't find any. I imagine that they bolt through to a spreader plate on the inside.

DSCN2981.jpg

I'd be interested if @clivehorridge or @Chas have had problems with the door dropping?

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/be/telescopic-ladder-support-bracket.html

Front runner do a telescopic ladder but its stupidly expensive but I imagine that most telescopic ladders would fit.

Alternatively I saw these ladder rungs mounted to the rear pillar of a land Cruiser although for the life of me I can't find any. I imagine that they bolt through to a spreader plate on the inside.

View attachment 151625

I'd be interested if @clivehorridge or @Chas have had problems with the door dropping?
I've not had my door drop Nick.

Thanks Chas and Nick. I have been thinking of botching and bolting on a generic 4x4 ladder on the back but for under twenty quid those brackets may be just what I need. This is not the most pressing thing on my list but I have been missing something to step onto after I removed the sidesteps.

View attachment 151625

I've got these rung/step thingies on the back of my 100, I assumed they were standard.

I've got these rung/step thingies on the back of my 100, I assumed they were standard.

I think it must depend where in the world your vehicle was made for. The photo above was taken in Sudan so it seems like the vehicles for the African market got them. That gives me some new ideas about how to source some for my truck.

Back