Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rope

Ecky Thump

Garage
Okay, nothing to do with cruisers but worth a try. As some of the fields some of you work in this could work.

I am after old rope like climbing rope or any colourful stuff. Not the oily old tow rope in the back of your garage ;)

I have been making rope toys for the Dobermann Rehoming Association. This is something my missus is well into.
The idea is to supply the mutts in kennels with toys and if I can make extra they will be sold at fetes etc to bring money into the charity.

Lengths of about 7 foot are the smallest I have been using but would prefer some bigger bits if you have any floating around.

Now, paying for it defeats the object of the charity side of what i'm doing, so I am looking for donations.........PLEASE!!!

Not sure about how to get it from you yet but i'm sure we could work something out.

Thanks for reading folks :pray:

Les, I have a couple of dog owning friends in the boating industry, I will see what I can find

Les,

I might have what your looking for in my garage of many junk bits, it's not the nylon stuff that you find, but the yellow stuff like they use for handrails, made from fibres.

Been using it as a tow rope, pulled a loaded 7.5t truck during the winter.

Les, seriously find your local branch of Go Outdoors. They sell 100 ft of rope like a climbing rope, exactly but only rated at 280 KG. I have two in my truck. All colours and about £5.99 each. Great for raft building and that sort of thing.

Chris

Cheers guys, good start.

I will look up this place Chris, never heard of it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You can probably get large amounts of good looking used ropes from climbers for free.

I have 100m + 60m of used climbing ropes sitting in the garage. Too old to keep climbing with it and too good looking to throw it away. It's now two years I'm considering how can I make good use of this. And another 60m is due to retire soon. I would gladly give this to someone who has an idea and knowledge to recycle it for some other purpose.

So ask the climbers is my advice.

I asked a climbing place - one of those places with a wall. No dice on the rope. They get destroyed. In case someone tries to use them as cheap climbing ropes. I said 'Do I look like a climber?' More like the bloomin mountain!

I only wanted them for rafts and bridge building etc, but nope. didn't have anything. Frightened to take the liability.

And the first one to mention Elf n Safety will get a black eye!!

Chris

Chris said:
I asked a climbing place - one of those places with a wall. No dice on the rope. They get destroyed. In case someone tries to use them as cheap climbing ropes.

I presume the Dobermanns chew the ropes, rather than using them to climb mountains, so the "destroy" part looks like a good match :idea:
:lol:

Have a look in on the internet for any climbing clubs close to you, I'm sure if you contact them someone will come up with something and they won't be tied up with all that Health and Safety worries about getting sued.

Interesting ...
... eeer, no, a bit shocking for me I must admit ... :shock:

This is real manifestation of the care for the neighbor. Or is it manifestation of the fear from the neighbor ... Or ...

This kind of thinking is more and more present also here, in the east. Americanization of the term "safety". How much I like it. Makes "friends" out of friends, makes ... Oh, I wandered too far. Sorry.
:thumbdown: anyway.

Some good thoughts there chaps. I might try the local boy sprouts and sea cadets etc as they will ditch rope with the slightest imperfections.

I don't know of any climbing clubs but will look it up on the old interweb.

Here you go Les. This is what I got.

IMGP4137.jpg

Chris

Tommo&Claire said:
There's one down here mate, want me to pick you some up?

Cheers dude

Seeing Chris's piccy it looks just right for what I want. Sort of defeats the freebie status but two different coils of that wont cost too much.

Thanks for the piccy Chris.

Is baler twine any good as i can get pallet loads of the stuff

Paul said:
Is baler twine any good as i can get pallet loads of the stuff

Not sure Paul. Don't know if all the hairy bits would become a choke hazard for the dogs :?:
Thanks for replying anyway.

I'll get you a ball of it to try, if nothing else its bloody handy in the garage :thumbup:

Back