Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rotten Fuel Filler Pipe

Westcoaster

Country Flag
scotland
Good afternoon folks, apologies for not posting more often as I should, especially as I've carried out two typical jobs to my '03 4.7 V8.

Today I finished replacing the fuel filler pipe from the filler neck to the tank end flexibles. A few weeks back I noticed a strong smell of petrol from the rear after a payday fill up to full of 95 ron. on further investigation the fuel filler pipe was obviously rotten to the point that the MoT test should've picked it up.

I ordered a replacement from V6 Auto Parts on eBay, who were careful to check VIN and asked for pics of the old pipe to ensure the correct fitment. It cost £99.00 which I thought was reasonable as it was a good fit.

Unfortunately, as my car has an LPG tank where the spare wheel lived, I couldn't easily get the new pipe in and I did some cutting and joining using fuel resistant silicone piping and clamps. Removing the LPG tank was a no no for me as gas is not in my work experience.

I've attached some pictures to show the state of the pipe and the joints on the new installation. It was a difficult job due to access, despite my lorry sized ramps.

One of these days I'll get over the trauma of changing the hydraulic height adjustable suspension to Peddars coils, shocks and torsion bars after a mid journey suspension failure and share my experience of the job!

IMG_4414.jpg
IMG_4415.jpg
IMG_4416.jpg
IMG_4418.jpg

I replaced the filler pipe on my 80 by cutting and joining it. After researching the job, the general consensus was that it can't be fitted in one piece without raising the body off the chassis, which I endorsed after numerous attempts, which was way too much faff! I'm not sure if the same procedure is required for the pipe on the 100 even without the LPG tank. IIRC the dia of the large pipe on the 80 was a strange size and I couldn't find rubber fuel pipe of the correct fit, until I came across a short OEM fuel pipe for a VW Golf which was bang on!

Filler pipe replacement

Last edited:
Seems to be a common thing with Landcruisers, it rots and awkward/impossible to fit.
I can see the total length of filler pipe on my 120 inc the rubber hose connector that joins at the tank, but looks a b'stard to get at that joint.

I had to replace the filler on my '100' a few years back and struggled to get the new one to pass between the floor and the cross-member.

I jacked the floor (on the 'top hat' section) and that lifted it just enough without doing any damage.

Not a straightforward job at all.

DSCN4040.JPG

DSCN4055.JPG

DSCN4064.JPG

DSCN4067.JPG

I now find that the filler on my Ford Focus Estate is leaking so I'll have to repeat the job - without all that ground clearance :doh:.

Bob.

Back