Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Route advice - SE to Edinburgh

whereisgibson

Anyone have any tips on which roads to go from Oxford to Edinburgh? I was thinking: avoid the M6 and take the A1 and then the A68 - so far this winter the "faster" roads have all been blocked with spun-out drivers/too much traffic, but don't know the area. Advice? I'm leaving tomorrow lunch, aiming to arrive the next day's evening (plenty of time!).

Last time i went up there i did do the dreaded M6 but went overnight so not too bad. On the way back i chose the east coast route, fantastic scenery and drive but takes ages, especially the Welcome to England sign, bit sureal.

If you want speed then take the M6.

If you want scenery and the fun of the A68 (rollercoaster road) take the A1 to Darlington/West Auckland junction and then take the A68 up past Hexham. Great road and I dare you to not to bottle it on the brow of each hill :thumbup: :lol:

Right, avoided the M6 entirely - it turned out that it got clogged with traffic :) No snow here in Edinburgh, the last we spotted in was in Hexham, and the only problem on the roads was fog -otherwise utterly uneventful. We shall see what the return journey brings.

Sorry just saw this now - if you have any hassles / need any assistance whilst here feel free to give me a shout!

Cheers

How was the journey? What route did you take in the end?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
A snow shovel, 15kg of salt, 3 sleeping bags, 3x20L jerrycans of diesel, a cb radio, a gps, a towrope, jump leads, spare bulbs, a medical pack, a breakdown triangle, two pairs of wellies, all my jumpers, and an ushanka from my mum for xmas. Just a few of the things utterly un-required for the journey back from Edinburgh on the non frozen, non snowed in, perfectly clear, traffic free, utterly uneventful journey back to Oxford that took 6 hours and not the two days planned. Where's the bloody snow when you want it? :lol:

Thanks for the offer Gary!

Come back - it's been snowing since 18:00 and is now quite 'interesting'!!

Back