Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Royal Wedding Alternatives ? Suggestions please....

Ken

Looking to get away from it all over "that" wedding weekend (commencing Fri 29th April)
Any suggestions that would combine some off roading (green lanes or courses), camping, maybe some beer involved too ?
We are based near to Cambridge but happy to travel up to 6 hours (by motorway, not green lanes) if it's worth it.
Please forward suggestions - I'm getting desperate

I know what you mean. I'm going stalking in Scotland. Nowhere near a telly.

Chris

me, j33p and and quite a few others are going laneing in the peaks

As craig says, There are quite a few good lanes in the peaks and is a nice place for the sights as well

karl

Me, I'm off to eeeeer Londonshire, booked it before they announced their date, it's my lads Birthday so we're off to Thorpe park and staying at Chertsey in the van :auto-camptrailer:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
This has got me thinking i too am looking for something to do and if its not going to be a bike trip to Europe it will be 4/5 days laning? Just need to work out where. If anyone has any places spare perhaps they could advertise it.

Happy to travel as far as the lakes and so long as a stock 100 will get around with minimal damage i am happy to run it past the wife. Would be good to throw in some camping so a full 4 days on the lanes would be great.

Ok guys. Maybe we can make up a small group ? Peaks are nearest to me, but Wales is not a problem. I'm talking 3 - 4 days, camping, play by day and a few beers at night. Anyone up for it ? If so, location, location, location ??? Suggestions welcomed

Paul_Humphreys said:
I am of to Wales for 3 days, Laneing :dance: :dance: :dance:
Thats nice,

Any where special?
Corwen?

G.

Weather permitting, I will be heading onto the nearest sheltered beach to go spootin' (collecting razor clams) and having a cook up. :thumbup:

Graham said:
Paul_Humphreys said:
I am of to Wales for 3 days, Laneing :dance: :dance: :dance:
Thats nice,

Any where special?
Corwen?

G.

No Graham, heading out to the coast and then south, mid wales on the way back up over the 3 days.

Paul

Hopefully be well into Morocco by then. Far away from this royal wedding circus :pray:

I've got a suggestion for Kate, if she ever thinks of divorce, make sure to always wear your seat belt :think:

I'm so glad that I'm not alone in wanting to get as far away as possible come Royal wedding day (and I live in London). Will the last person out of the capital please turn the lights off!

:cool: :cool: :cool:

John

Is there is any plan for an anti-wedding lane trip, I would be interested :thumbup:

Right, decision made, me and a few mates from my off-road club are doing the Plain from tomorrow until Sunday morn, a couple of days laning and a couple just chilling out :cool: All booked in at a local camp site in Tilshead. Oil, engine and auto box, water, tyres all checked and new wipers fitted. Food/booze and the trusty microwave all loaded.:thumbup:

good idea chas, even out here in hillbilly land the royal wedding hype has arrived - Spanish mates asking what kind of beer will be served & what will be on the sandwiches ect.

Huh - I'm working all weekend - the joys of no bank holiday observance up here :lol:

Well, we had a great time trolling round The Plain for a few days even if my compatriots were in three LR’s, a 90, a Defender and a Disco

Lastofmanybutsecondtonone.jpg

they wanted to put me in the middle of the group but I said no :naughty: Landcruiser, last of many but second to none.

The Disco managed it with no trouble but both the 90 and Defender had failures, not really breakdowns just minor stuff, the 90 had a recurring cooling problem, (two electric fans) an intermittent indicator that worked when it wanted to, a horn that didn’t honk and a jammed drivers window, the horn and cooling probs were dirty contacts on relays, we never found the indicator fault.
The Defender had strange noises coming from below that required listening to, a failed winch that got fixed eventually, with a 'little' assistance :lol:

Winchassist.jpg

there was another problem but I can’t remember now what that was. :confusion-confused:

I didn’t get off scot free either, no breakages, but I managed to lock the keys in the car, :roll: we finally got the doors open by sticking a wire coat hanger down ‘through’ the rubber seal on the top of the upper tailgate window (must remember to put some sealer in there to fix the hole) and pulling up the rear door release button and climbing through to the front. :thumbup: I also had a rumbling sound coming from below but I think it was the exhaust vibrating somewhere.

I also got stuck in the mud while on foot, :oops:

Stuckonfoot.jpg

when someone said “Put your foot down and you’ll get through” :lol: I took it the wrong way, trod on what looked like solid ground and went knee deep into mud that was so sticky we thought I would have to be winched out I got free in the end by pulling my leg up and using both hands to pull as well, but it took about 5 minutes of pulling to free, it felt like I had been glued in.
Both the 90 and Defender got stuck there. The 90 was winched out by the Defender, but the Defender needed both me and the 90 to free it when he tried to get through,

Anchorman.jpg

I thought discretion was the better part of valour and decided not to attempt it myself.

Most of the Plain was dry (Click for video)

th_DryVideo.jpg

but we did manage to find some mud holes (click for video)

th_MuddyVideo.jpg

and a ford :thumbup: (click for video)

th_FordVideo.jpg

and some very scratchy lanes (click for video)

th_ScratchyVideo.jpg

but a bit of face powder hid the wrinkles. :cool:

Facepowder.jpg

We also did a very steep descent where I couldn't get into low range so had to do it in high, checking speed a bit with the brakes leaving plenty of room in front, and in the excitement forgot to switch on the camera :doh:

Back