Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rust

Mikep6154

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi guys, I’m new to the group. I’m looking to buy my first LC, I’m attaching a video of the car I’m looking at and after reading some of the posts on here about rust I’m looking for some advice. I was told by Arnold Clark that the rust I can see on the underside is surface rust, I’ve checked the MOT history and nothing related to corrosion is showing. whatever LC I buy I’m planning on having any surface rust treated and have the car undersealed. But from what you can see does this look like I’d be fine to just have it treated and is this what I should expect to see underneath? Or is your initial reaction to what you see that I should be looking for something cleaner? My budget is around the 19k mark give or take and I wanted something with under 100k miles and as new as possible
Thanks In advance for any advice

Probably is just surface rust but I'd want a closer look. If you can't get to physically see it, get them to send some photos underneath that we can zoom in on - I think it's harder on a moving video. I'd also get them to remove the spare so you can see what it covers up.

I'd want to poke some bits like the one in this pic.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210723-103517_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210723-103517_Chrome.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 82
Probably is just surface rust but I'd want a closer look. If you can't get to physically see it, get them to send some photos underneath that we can zoom in on - I think it's harder on a moving video. I'd also get them to remove the spare so you can see what it covers up.

I'd want to poke some bits like the one in this pic.

+ 1. Definately need a closer look, maybe surface rust where you can see but a check on things you can't like axle and body mounts and tops of chssis rails/cross members etc.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Agree, definitely needs more investigation if that is as bad as it possibly looks, there may be more in others areas, as per suggestions. Spring perches are another area.
As a rough guide, cruisers that come from the northern hemisphere and coastal areas in general seem to be the worst casualties all over the underside. Also if towbar fitted, could have been a boat launcher, so check everything from the rear axle back in particular. Salt is not forgiving, unless regularly washed. There are loads out there that are showroom shiny, but a house of horrors underneath.

Michael, I am not any expert but as a new owner, I can share some tips I learned from this forum. I posted loads of videos n pics of my cars rust.
1. If possible get a detailed underbody inspection from May be RAC etc. There ll be rust but as new owner we should have idea on how bad, if it’s acceptable, if it can be easily stopped and no major damage to important components.
2. Arnold Clark is big dealer so ask them about possibility of rust prevention etc into cost of car.
3. Check if car underbody is coated in mud. That’s indication of bad selling practices.
Attached video n pics of mud underside.

Mud mud mud I feel is biggest enemy. My car underside was packed with tons of mud. I took it to truck wash n took 1 hour to clear tons of mud. After that it took 3 more washes to remove it. Still there is some. Mud video is not attaching here. I ll try to send later.

Attachments

• 7096B546-718B-4F9E-BD2A-7B916A601BB4.jpeg
    7096B546-718B-4F9E-BD2A-7B916A601BB4.jpeg
    438.8 KB · Views: 75
Link to mud video. This is after getting it washed. I took this video before sending to back to dealer for repair. It’s a long video, some of its underside around accumulators looks like rust but it’s mud. The dealer said he cleaned all mud but I ended up taking off lot more from many small places.

Raj , was your car ever on a private plate with a previous owner .... if so I may have known it a few years ago ..?

Grimbo, It was on private plate, I think its A1WBD.
Its a small world for LC owners :) I might even bump into previous owner as well. Who ever is previous owner, they ll be happy to know the car is in very good hands.

Stating the blatantly obvious but.... That's not a 200 LC in the video. @Mikep6154 did you just post in the wrong forum perhaps?

"Grimbo, It was on private plate, I think its A1WBD."
Not the one I knew.... this one belonged to the owner of a skip and haulage company and spent lot's of time in mud which would have explained your muddy bottom so to speak ;-)

LCs are made to do rough stuff. I too will take it down into mud and all that stuff at first available chance. Just waiting to clean old stuff and make it strong. :)

Back