Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Samsung Tablet

Paul

Garage
Country Flag
england
Well the time has come to get a tablet.

I don't want anything apple related and lots of recommendations point towards the Samsung 10.1 tablet but what would be a reasonable spec as there seems some choices like 3g, 16gb etc.

I have recently bought one, but not the 3g one - its fine so far, the only 'issue' I have is when playing you tube vids, it sems to lock up and buffer a lot, and takes 10 mins to watch a 3 min video! I guess most of that is cos we only have wet string for cables around here and get our 500megs to share in the hamlet........having said that my lap top has given up playing you tube vids and has to be re booted every time it jams up.....
I have the 16gb with a 32 micro sd card as well - I plan to put all my music on it over winter.
Cheers
Steve

I went for Apple, 4G 64MB.

Never freezes, plenty of storage, good apps, and runs well on the new IOS7.

Why tolerate issues with a cheap copy?

Sorry, nothing by apple im afraid.

Been doing more research and the Note 10.1 looks to fit the bill. Just need to see what the gps options are.

just one point make sure the gps works ok without the internet. My mate has the note 1 phone and when we went to the Alps we turn off the internet because of the cost but the maps would not work because it need the internet to download the area as we move. Thats google maps for you

So please check before you buy

I had the same problem in Portugal if you recall Mike. That was with a Galaxy tab 2.

It transpired that it was operator error....

The Galaxy (and apple) come with a built in gps chipset, so no need for 3G.

But....you do need to have the maps stored onboard. To do this I downloaded Arcticquest app., I started with the Lite (free!) version, but had to upgrade to Full (£4.99) version in order to download maps, and this is where it went a bit wrong - as I didnt delete the Lite version thats what it was running on in Portugal, so wouldnt read the downloaded maps on the Full version.

So the answer is that the Galaxy is a top bit of kit, but you need to choose a good map reading app. to go with it.

Its exactly the same with an Ipad, if you are using gps then you need an app. to go with it to allow non-3G use.

Talk of an ipad being better than a galaxy is largely inconsequential, I use about 1% of the equipments capability.

What i would say though is that you can get a bargain price on the Tab 2 at the moment (about £180), its a huge amount of technology for the money.

I know this isnt an Apple or galaxy thread as such, but where the apple does score better is the amount of aftermarket goodies - its taken me 18 months to find a decent priced Samsung keyboard.

Regards

Pete

Ps Mike - hope to see you in a landCruiser in Portugal mate, just hang around here long enough and you'll see the error of your ways......

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Tab 2 is the best 10" one for the price, the note is quicker (quad core) and can use a 64 gig card. But costs a lot more. As for a Surface, they are very good but no good for apps. I had one for 24 hours and took it back.

Writing this on our Tab ;-) I like it but its just a gaming machine so far...

I use the Fujitsu

downloaded tom tom app for European navigation and it's pretty good, some of the routes are a bit random though! Helps if you have an idea roughly where to go so you can check it but to a greater or lesser extent that's true of all satnavs. It is certainly better than the Toyota Touch and Go in my hilux, which cost nearly twice as much!
The best mapping I ever used was garmins old navigator series, mostly because it let you set out your own route on the computer before leaving and then downloading it onto the SD card, sadly they don't seem to do any apps for android.

I also have viewranger, mapquest and soviet military maps (good for out of the way places) but haven't really used them.

I don't mind paying for apps if they are good. I tend to find you get what you pay for, and free apps are often worth exactly that!

I was tempted by apple but put off by the company, and the lack of third party apps as for off road navigation there isn't really too much on offer from apple.

The satnav apps are ok for roads, but in Portugal the tracks arent shown, so I need an aerial map to navigate from.

I have the complete UK series of OS maps on .qct format, the samsung has run these no problem at all.

If you want to add a keyboard, look for the genuine Samsung one, the cheapo Chinese ones have too many characters out of place.

Pete

Back