Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Scrapping the Stereo

Chris Green90

Garage
Country Flag
england
Hey Guys. Over the next couple of weeks I am gonna be scrapping the stereo from my 90 and replacing it with a Galaxy Tab and one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150663851657? ... 1439.l2649.

I have a decent car mount bracket for the tab with multi swivel adjustment. from the first adjustment I intend to replace this with a piece of threaded bar bolted to the original radio mounts which should bring the tab out just in front of the canter console. the amp will be located in the cubby space at the bottom of the console, below the ashtray.

Linked from the headphone jack on the tab to the inputs on the amp and from the amp to the original speakers...and voila instant carputer (well, Almost) but it has Memory Map, videos, calander BT handsfree, masses of music, radio....Angry Birds. So that all makes me happy, What else could I need?????????
I'm Sure You guys will tell me.... Pics to follow

Chris, I had been looking at these but was a bit concerned about this in the spec

Input power:12v 2A DC
Input sensitivity: 200mv

A car will run from about 9v when starting to 14v when fully charging so you may need a regulated power supply, It says ideal for a car or boat but has a mains regulated power supply input so its a home unit.

You may need to check or all you will get is a "phut" when it burns out

Some Piccies. All Working well with a regulated power supply for the amp
P1000785.jpg

P1000786.jpg

P1000787.jpg

P1000788.jpg

P1000789.jpg

Hi Chris, that is looking very good indeed.

Out of interest what app are you using for mapping (looks like Memory Map), and also what are you using to play your music etc? Does it have big enough buttons etc to allow use whilst driving etc?

We are up in the Lakes now. Used CoPilot to get us here. I use MMTracker with memory map maps for mapping and winamp for music. All work spot on for my needs and the buttons are bigger than any stereo I have ever owned in the past.

We have been down some pretty rough lanes and everything has stayed in place perfectly, Even down some really bumpy stuff I can still easily change between mapping and music, skip a track or adjust the map. Its not 100% as intuitive as a standard car stereo but after a couple of days it really has become second nature.

Well Chuffed

Very cool...

Last thing.. are you using a USB GPS device or a bluetooth based one? I have been looking to get a Android tablet but did not want to be trailblazing on this front... :shifty:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ive got same tablet and mount using a ram mount
and oziexplorer mapping
works really well and play music on it too using headphone jack to car stereo

like your system neat setup

Useing a galaxy tab. It has a built in gps and mounted where it is has always pocked up a signal within about 15 seconds. I use mm tracker cos it was the first one that came up when i typed into google "memory map for android".
Had originally planned on funning it through a car stereo but the one i had was ronnied and at 15 quid for the amp and a fiver for the psu it eas a shep load cheeper than a new radio. The only minoe downside is no fm tiner bu seen as thoigh i have a music collection in excess of 40,000 records i find that that does me.

Sorry if I have rambled or the spelling is off but am just enjoying my 10th pint of laughing gravy in celebration of my 27th

Ha ha, many happy returns dude!!!

System looks good :thumbup:

Back