Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Seat issues

NickG80

Hey everyone,

I am having two issues with my seats

1: My seat latch that secures the right half of the second row seats to the floor is not engaging in a lock position. Has anyone encountered this? Is there a way to just replace the latch or do I have to find a new seat?

2: The passenger side front seat moves in a diagonal position as the left side motor does not turn. Is there an easy way to tell if I need a new wormdrive and/or motor? Is there an easier fix than replacing?

Thanks,
Nick

Hi Nick, I would first find what is causing the problem rather than jumping to needing parts.

1, from memory, that latch gets folded away by the seat folding down. Check that the black bar that connects to it and folds it away under the seat is not bent where it shouldn't be. Secondly have a look at the latch. If it looks like this:-

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434647888.954627.jpg

It is in the correct position to latch.

If it's like this, it's not.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434647944.861315.jpg

The remedy is to operate the release on the seat and at the same time use a screwdriver, bar, key or something like that to flick the latch back to where it should be, effectively imitating the latch bar in the floor.

If it's not in the wrong place, look for obstructions stopping a, the seat from going fully down or b, in the latch bar well in the floor stopping the latch going in. If this is all good, try a little WD40 or such lube sprayed in the mechanism of the latch and into the release handle mechanism within the seat. Make sure this handle returns back to where it wants to be without sticking.

2, look for loose electrical connections to the motor. Do you normally move the seat often (like me, I'm 6' and the wife 5' so back and forth goes the manual seat)? Can you get to see if the motor turns when you operate the switch? Are there any obstructions in the seat slide rail that could cause it to jam?

I don't have electric seats so cannot help other than general trouble shooting. Start with the stupidly obvious and work on from there would be my advice.

Good luck with it, shouldn't be too tricky.

Richard.

Hi Nick, I would first find what is causing the problem rather than jumping to needing parts.

1, from memory, that latch gets folded away by the seat folding down. Check that the black bar that connects to it and folds it away under the seat is not bent where it shouldn't be. Secondly have a look at the latch. If it looks like this:-

View attachment 19838

It is in the correct position to latch.

If it's like this, it's not.

View attachment 19839

The remedy is to operate the release on the seat and at the same time use a screwdriver, bar, key or something like that to flick the latch back to where it should be, effectively imitating the latch bar in the floor.

If it's not in the wrong place, look for obstructions stopping a, the seat from going fully down or b, in the latch bar well in the floor stopping the latch going in. If this is all good, try a little WD40 or such lube sprayed in the mechanism of the latch and into the release handle mechanism within the seat. Make sure this handle returns back to where it wants to be without sticking.

2, look for loose electrical connections to the motor. Do you normally move the seat often (like me, I'm 6' and the wife 5' so back and forth goes the manual seat)? Can you get to see if the motor turns when you operate the switch? Are there any obstructions in the seat slide rail that could cause it to jam?

I don't have electric seats so cannot help other than general trouble shooting. Start with the stupidly obvious and work on from there would be my advice.

Good luck with it, shouldn't be too tricky.

Richard.

Thanks for the quick reply Richard. The latch is definitely in the open position, but won't stay locked when I push it down. I can manually engage the other seat latch and it stays down in the locked position, but that is not the case with the latch I am having an issue with. I will try to spray some WD-40 on it and see if that helps.

Also, thanks for the suggestions on the seat motor. The motor does not turn, but I will check for electrical connection issues.

Back