Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Seat options

Went to see the guy and was disappointed... It was rolled and a big mess, the seats were worn out before the crash and trashed from the crash.

Spent all day wandering around his yard looking at every make of seat you can imagine, getting more depressed, most were destroyed by air bags going off, the rest were worn out or damaged from folks piling junk on them and oil etc.

As I was leaving, I spotted a Mazda, fairly fresh in. I measured up and the racks are wider apart than the 80, but after seeing firewout's post above, thought why not.

So now I own these...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

All have to do is:

(i) find a way to fit them; and
(ii) find out how to wire them.

Certainly not a single live wire and an earth on these, there's what must be a 20 point plug on a bundle.

Ive also got to take care not to energize the airbag that's built in.. :think:

Still, they're nice seats, I'll find a way...

Nice seats clive.
my seats also have about 20 wires: seat heating, airbags, belt switch....
you only have to find out which ones are the power supply for the servo motors. I guess it will be the thick red one for the + and the brown one for the -.
try to google 'wiring mazda seat'.
Btw also try to fit the belt buckle, it might fit.
good luck!

Last edited:
"May never happen as I don't yet know if the seat fabric is brown or whether Rookie will sell it to me. I'd settle for the pad though. I'm guessing it's the only way to get original foam that's in good order being the passenger side and less used."

Im sure the foam is available from toyota, the leather too i think.

I think if it were me, I would look at removing the airbag. My main thought is that rescue services have a database of what cars have what airbags and where so that if they have to cut the occupants out of a crashed vehicle, they know where they are. With the seat airbag gone there is no danger however small that may be.

Might just be worth some thought. It would save any uncertainty.

"May never happen as I don't yet know if the seat fabric is brown or whether Rookie will sell it to me. I'd settle for the pad though. I'm guessing it's the only way to get original foam that's in good order being the passenger side and less used."

Im sure the foam is available from toyota, the leather too i think.

Thanks for that CG, I'll try and see how many organs I need to sell to buy one. [emoji4]

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nice seats Clive :icon-cool:

They are Gary, I spent the day yesterday cutting off all the unusable mounting brackets and fathoming out the best way to deal with the wider spacing of the racks. The one nearest the center tunnel will stay in the same position, so I need to take account of the outer rack mounting further toward the sills.

I'm going to copy firewout's cross-brace idea to stop excentric twisting of the racks. Once braced, I recon I can keep the front outer mounting where it is. Ingenuity will be needed on the rear mountings.

Once I've committed myself, I could use the rack mounting strips off the old seats, with the outer mounting points moved over on the floor.

At the moment, I'm reluctant to hack the original seats about, until I'm sure it's going to work.

This thread is better than I had ever hoped!! I love the fact that there's other dudes out there customizing their cruisers! Nice seats Clive!! I'm dying to know about your research on that crashed 120 series. If the seats were choice, would they fit into your 80? That's what I need to do. I need newer than 2004 seats in my 80. I don't mind a little work to get them in, I'm mostly worried about the width, height etc. That why I want to stick to a LC. The width, height and overall dimentioning shouldn't have changed all that much throughout the years.

Clive, what'd you find out?

Sorry I've been off grid. My father passed away and nothing in the world really mattered for a while. :(

~Rookie

Oh heck Rookie, I'm really sorry to hear that! [emoji20] quite understand being away and how you felt, but looks like your now feeling your way back into life again so that's good.

Thoughts are with you.

This thread is better than I had ever hoped!! I love the fact that there's other dudes out there customizing their cruisers! Nice seats Clive!! I'm dying to know about your research on that crashed 120 series. If the seats were choice, would they fit into your 80? That's what I need to do. I need newer than 2004 seats in my 80. I don't mind a little work to get them in, I'm mostly worried about the width, height etc. That why I want to stick to a LC. The width, height and overall dimentioning shouldn't have changed all that much throughout the years.

Clive, what'd you find out?

Sorry I've been off grid. My father passed away and nothing in the world really mattered for a while. :(

~Rookie

Commiserations Rookie, can't pretend to know how you feel, but I know how I felt....

As for the 120, I'll never know I'm afraid.

I got to the scrap yard and was introduced to a wreck, literally. It had been rolled several times, even the seats were trashed, burst air bags and accident damaged, but worse, they were worn out too, apart from the crash. Why the hell the scrappy told me they were ok I have no idea.

Thats when I took to walking the yard and eventually came across the Mazda 6.

Out of upwards of 1,000 scrap cars, there must have been no more than 10 usable pairs of seats, all in various stages of worn out.

The Mazda was the only car there with tidy seats.

Commiserations Rookie :icon-cry:
Know what you mean about nothing else matters, 11 years this saturday for me.

Clive are those seats in yet?!

Commiserations Rookie :icon-cry:
Know what you mean about nothing else matters, 11 years this saturday for me.

19 years for me, and the funeral of my dear sister tomorrow. Getting older isn't such fun sometimes.

Seats in yet? Noooooooo :icon-rolleyes:

But I have started on the brackets for the rear supports.... maybe this side of Christmas :whistle:

There must be some technical data somewhere on this site that will show measurements and hole locations to see if the seats from a 120 will fit into an 80. Right? Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Maybe I'll start a post in the 120 section. My fear is that they won't have any bloody idea and won't care either. :lol:

~Rookie

OK, a bit of an update on the Mazda 6 seats installation....

Over the weeks, I've been applying my limited toolkit and equally limited engineering skills to cutting up bits of 40 x 20 x 2mm RHS (which is box section to those less familiar with engineering terms than my extensive vocabulary :icon-rolleyes: ).

I have a hacksaw, an angle grinder, a drill some drill bits, a small set of 3 tapered step drills (mighty useful things to have) and a rivnut tool. I cut off the original Mazda seat mounting brackets that were no use to me and went about making a brace to go across the back of the two tracks.

The one front mounting nearest the tunnel was coincident with the 80 floor mounting position, but the rack is wider on the Mazda seats and the door side needed a 40mm strap in 4mm steel. After knocking that up and bolting the front of the seat in place, it gave me the chance to find out where the back mounts should attach to the seat tracks.

To replicate the position of the old seat racks, the rear of the Mazda seat needed mounting about 60mm above the floor. I made up some box pieces to bolt to the Mazda racks with 8mm rivnuts, then I bolted a piece of dropper box each end to give sufficient clearance for a crossbox so as it wouldn't foul the underneath of the seat as it tracks front and rear. Then I made up some angle pieces to bolt to the crossbox coincident with the floor mounting positions.

Using the crossbox means that there could be no undesirable twisting of the racks or non-parallel action going on.

After bolting everything, I stomped up the hill to my neighbor and he kindly welded it all up. After taking the bolts out and cleaning it all up a bit, I fitted the assembly back to the seats and bolted it all to the floor.

Bingo :icon-biggrin:

I can't pretend it's a perfect fit, but its well within what I can live with. The bad points are that the seat is refractionally to the left of the steering wheel, by about 20mm. That means that the plastic cover on the door side of the seat is just against the door pillar trim. It's not hard against it but the seat belt is trapped a bit, but nothing a little tug and positioning doesn't solve. I think a go with a heat gun would give me that extra mm that it needs, no more than that is necessary.

As I think Rich suggested, the Mazda seat is a little higher than the old 80 seat. Remember, my old touch had no electrics in the seats, I could shift it front and back and adjust the seat back rake, that was it.

The Mazda drivers' seat has back and forth, up and down front and back, and seat back rake, all motorized. BTW, wiring them up will be another story :lol:

As it happens, the position its in is just great! That extra 20mm of height is fabulous, I can have the steering wheel in the Centre position, instead of the lowest like I used to, and everything seems better. I can see the dash better and have a better view of the road. All good, I'm well chuffed.

Tunnel side mounting coincident with the original...

image.jpeg

The door side needed a strap. It's just knocked up at the moment, the whole lot will come off again for a clean-up and paint...

image.jpeg

Now the the rear and my box section cobble-up, again it all needs painting. Door side...

image.jpeg

Tunnel side...

image.jpeg

Some general views...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I also have manual lumbar adjustment which is heaven, and the seat is firm with a slightly bucket style profile, meaning there's no sideways sliding at all.

TBH, I'm in 7th heaven with this driving position, and I don't have a collapsed seat anymore. Next job is the passenger side, and then some wiring.

Brilliant! :thumbup:

Well done Clive, when will the kits be ready for shipping?:icon-biggrin:

Well done Clive, when will the kits be ready for shipping?:icon-biggrin:

First step Nick, borrow someone's Mazda 6... :lol:

I've just realized I've jacked Rookie's thread big-time, sorry mate. :text-threadjacked:

But it does show that seats that don't fit can be made to fit (within limits) and someone better at fabrication would/could do a much neater job than me.

If anyone thinks it appropriate, my posts can be moved to a new thread...

Clive, me ol' pal, any chance of stuffing the passenger seat foam in a bag and sending it to me when you change that one? [emoji4] looks like yours might be available sooner than Rookie's.

Nice job Clive, pity the steering wheels on the wrong side though, lol

Back