Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Seatbelts

silvercruiser

Hello.

Can all you 120 owners report back on your seatbelts.

I have the Colorado at the moment and have to say the seatbelts in the front are useless and i have lost count on the times a passenger gets out and slams the seatbelt in the door. Im sure this is a common thing with colorado's and has been mentioned on here before.

So im just wondering if the 120 has the same issue or did toyota sort this out?

Nope same issue on my 2005 120. All 4 belts have started to slow on retraction. Im thinking of taking them out and seeing if I can clean/oil them, but from what I read its a balls of a job

Same on my 90 and 120, does become a little tiresome.

Following a suggestion i read on the interdebt somewhere i took out the top bolt , pulled the belt out full length and jammed a wooden peg in to stop it retracting . Then just left the whole belt soaking in a washing bowl with a load of that vanish stuff on the truck floor . I was astonished to see how black the water went . After doing that and rinsing the vanish out i soaked them again in fabric softener . It did improve things a bit for a while but not much and they are crap again now . If i do it again i will probably spray them with scotchguard once they are dry .

I've read some Surf owners managed to dismantle the retractor and recoil the spring , a dodgy thing to do as the retractor holds a small explosive charge and a few posted pics of injuries . When i cleaned mine i was very tempted to try the same but - blow it and its gonna prove very expensive come M.O.T time . If anyone's got an old 90 seatbelt i'd love to mess about with it to see if i can get them apart without killing them or losing fingers ?

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
:doh: Not the answer i wanted to hear. I wonder if you can retrofit some seatbelts from another make or different model toyota. or would that cause issues with insurance if they found out?

I was hoping you was all going to say yes they are brilliant because the seatbelts really make me :angry-screaming: when they dont retract quickly.

My 2005 LC5 has slow retracting belts too. The ones in the back used with kids carseats (and doubtless exposed to tsunamis of juice and various bodily fluids) are the worst and I had to replace one at the dealer (Expensive!). The replacement started to jam up too, and toyota replaced that one as a warranty claim. I welcome any tips for aftermarket replacements.

Pull the belt all the way out and spray some silicone spray in job done.

Pull the belt all the way out and spray some silicone spray in job done.

Must try that.

I think all toyotas are similar, both my wife's ravs and yaris were same. I suppose the idea is that they are comfortable to wear when new but it does get a little annoying that I have to straighten the seatbelt every time I have someone get out of the passanger seat.

My kids have learnt now,they even say when their getting out "I know the seat belt dad" got to Luv em

Back