Seen some snow today.....

AndycruiserguyLomas

Supporter
Guru
Country Flag
england
SQKM1486.JPG
IMG_0925.JPG

It got a lot worse than this, 30-40 cm. This was only on the high ground. when you dropped 2-300 ft it was raining.
The 80 was awesome, never put a tyre wrong and there was some really steep snowy climbs and descents
I got right to the campsite and couldnt get the final 10m into the entrance to the site, a combination of a steep uphill corner with a bad left to right slant and snow up to the centre caps.
I had a walk in to the campsite and the snow was up to my knees, so I came home.
Probably did 50 miles of snowy roads. I couldn't believe some of the vehicles trying to get along the A595.

Last edited:
Just started snowing in Sheffield as soon as I saw this.

View attachment 334816View attachment 334817

It got a lot worse than this, 30-40 cm. This was only on the high ground. when you dropped 2-300 ft it was raining.
The 80 was awesome, never put a tyre wrong and there was some really steep snowy climbs and descents
I got right to the campsite and couldnt get the final 10m into the entrance to the site, a combination of a steep uphill corner with a bad left to right slant and snow up to the centre caps.
I had a walk in to the campsite and the snow was up to my knees, so I came home.
Probably did 50 miles of snowy roads. I couldn't believe some of the vehicles trying to get along the A595.
Should have taken the VW Andy, see how far you would have got

We had a light flurry yesterday in Kent, more like slush, Stopped behind an old dear in a Skoda, then when we got going again I just sat there with the rear wheels spinning, Hi lux, Hopeless even with BFGs on

Here we go, just head out unprepared, get stuck then blame the emergency services for their "poor response" and leaving people stranded, It makes me want to throw up!:rage:

Stranded and unprepared

Should have taken the VW Andy, see how far you would have got

With the suspension pumped up and with all it's gizmo's inc rear locking diff I reckon it would have been ok where I was on the A595.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi lux, Hopeless even with BFGs on

...even with 4wd engaged?. That's surprising. Capable though the 80 is, I'd say the SJ413 I had years ago was a match for it. I put some budget Camac Terra 4x4 tyres on it and it was virtually unstoppable. I remember heading up a steep hill in the Peak District in deep snow and stopping halfway " just to see if I could get going again" and I did, relatively easily. There's nothing fancy about the transmission in one of those but the light weight is obviously a big advantage.:thumbup:

...even with 4wd engaged?. That's surprising.

Surprising indeed. I did the A595 both ways twice yesterday in the snow before any salt or ploughs went through. Taking a note of what was getting through 50% were Hilux's, a couple of Tiguan's were making making good progress a few Disco 3's etc etc. I didn't see any 4wd having a problem.
The 595 did make the national news though yesterday, it was interesting.

Here we go, just head out unprepared
No snow here yet in West Wales, but I did spend an hour (not really supposed to since stroke) last night in the rainy dark rescuing an Amazon delivery driver who'd got himself stuck in mud. A nice enough lad, but very little english on his part and no whatever his language was on my part didn't help. Despite numerous warning signs, which of course he didn't understand, he'd got stuck. The van he was in, a brand new front wheel drive Vauxhall transit sized thing, had little traction, no tools, no spare wheel and no screw in towing eye on board, no towing loops on the thing at all. Eventually got him out of the way enough to get past him and pull him out with a strap round the back suspension, easy for the 81, but as far as I could see, he had only a light jacket and very little else with him. Stuck in snow, he'd have a very chilly time !

...even with 4wd engaged?. That's surprising. Capable though the 80 is, I'd say the SJ413 I had years ago was a match for it. I put some budget Camac Terra 4x4 tyres on it and it was virtually unstoppable. I remember heading up a steep hill in the Peak District in deep snow and stopping halfway " just to see if I could get going again" and I did, relatively easily. There's nothing fancy about the transmission in one of those but the light weight is obviously a big advantage.:thumbup:
No mate, 4wd was not engaged, was just an example of how without weight in the back the hilux is no better than a Skoda in 2wd…. Just a bit of humour really

Would much rather be in my Jimny than the 120 or 150 in snow / ice. Just feels like less of a lump to lose control of, and less of a lump to drag up anywhere. That said, I wouldn't want to go as far as a 50 mile round trip in it :)

Saturday morning, after seeing cars covered in ice, I searched for Landcruiser keys and took it out instead of other car as planned. I have that confidence and option when weather is bad.

Back