Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Self servicing question

Bob

Supporter
Country Flag
ireland
One for the experienced self servicers..

Been looking after standard engine servicing and parts replacement on the 90 for the last 3 years. With money getting tighter, I'll be doing all maintenance myself now.

My questions are twofold:

First is about gearbox and diff oils. What should I be using and how often should they be renewed. I don't have the owners manual, and have had it done by Toyota before and forgot to ask.

Second is about a steering rack bush. Will need to replace as the passenger side one is showing play and will likely fail the DOE test (MOT) is this a difficult job? I'd consider myself a reasonably handy driveway mechanic, but don't have a lift or the like.

(Tried a search, but found 80 stuff mostly)

Thanks for reading my silly and long post ;)

Cheers Andrew, have one on order actually!! Just wondering if anyone had tips from experience, as I have found workshop manuals sometimes make large assumptions about equipment etc. But yes, will be referring to it for sure.

The truck has been so reliable, I've never had to do anything more technical than a back shock, so the manual was never necessary!

No problem,

I noted on the 120 that the diff oil gets changed every major service, but the gearboxes can be sealed for life, and you just check the level and condition of the oil.

That said the Toyota garage said that if you are doing significant heavy duty you could change every 100k

The transfer box seems to be harder to define, I changed mine at 60k and that seems to be the first time it was done.

Hope this is some help

Thanks Andrew, its certainly a start!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have a handy maintenance schedule its a small .xls file. how do I post it here?

Back