Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Service Issues...

Gary Stockton

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
zimbabwe
I'm starting to think that Crispin and I have Monday cars ....

My October 2005 LC5 is in for annual service and MOT. Current mileage is just on 44,000 miles (statute, Crispin, not nautical :lol:) over 6 years - not high by any means....

Just had a phone call from the Service Manager:

"A couple of things we need your OK on, Mr S...
1. You need new back brake pads ... "

Ok - so I put on brake pads just after I got it in 2008, so now on the 3rd set is acceptable, I guess. But at only a low mileage, I'm surprised! When I did the first set, there was evidence the pistons had been stuck - the front calipers were replaced under warranty - let's see what they say about the back ones!

" ... 2. The front off-side wheel bearing has abnormal play, and the tracking rods need replacement... "

FFS!!! The tracking rods were replaced 2 years ago due to noisy suspension. And again now? It's not as though I've been beating up and down every bad trail out there, really!

And the wheel bearing being shot - at 44k miles?? I'm not happy. So I guess the spacers will come off now, but I can't see that being the issue, really - I'll just get 8" rims with a 0 offset instead :lol:

PS - Crispin, this is what they've come up with after my complaint about the sqeak from the front right we thought may be the skid plates rubbing, so be warned!!!!

So I'm a tad narked. Let's see what else they find. In the meantime, I've pointed out that the vehicle is (still) under Mr T's extended warranty (thank goodness I just extended that for another year :lol:) and they should see if that covers it.

Disgruntled in [strike:22opwaq0]Edinburgh[/strike:22opwaq0] London

Ouch

As a sanity balance, my 120 is a 55 plate so same age as yours with around 74K miles. It's on the second set of pads, I changed them about 10K ago, and a piston on each of the front calipers were stuck. (Which reminds me I need to get that sorted...)

Not had any of the other issues you mention, although I did have to replace a water pump due to collant leaking out.

On the brake front, I wonder if it could be attibuted to the harsher weather you get oop north, so longer periods of salt and grit etc?

Good thing you have warranty but like you I would be p1ssed!

Gary are you sure they aren't taking the piss?

Doesn't sound right.

I got 110k miles out of my rear pads the fronts were changed at 70k miles and to date have not had any of the other issues.

Light load valve adjust due to the suspension lift????

Good call, Paul - I just wonder whether Gary's has a LSPV given that it has the adjustable air suspension on the rear, so in theory it's always level :think:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No LSPV on my 120 (that I know of - will go check the FSM...)

The generic FSM shows one, toyodiy doesn't list it for my variant, and got to admit I've never spotted anything like what the FSM show next to the rear suspension ... I'll check when I get home on the weekend!

Until mine met with an untimely death trying to fight with a solid impenetrable stone wall, it had some 95k miles on it. By the look of it when I got it it had been given dogs abuse and had no Toyo service worth mentioning. Other than calipers, a replacement bearing (to replace one that had been incorrectly fitted previously) and an oil seal on on output shaft of the t-box I had no issues with mine. I fitted pads to mine when I sorted the calipers and thereafter none in 30k miles. Never fitted rear pads to any cars of mine in 20+ years. Maybe driving style has something to do with it. :?:

:( Gary and Crispin do seen to have a list of annoyances that fall well short of acceptable Toyo behaviour.

Gary
LC5s self-level on the rear and must have some from of LSPV gubbins linked to air suspension, and it worked as I loaded/ unloaded it one day with bags of coal to prove it and it reacted and worked very nicely. A failure of some unnamed French cars, with LSPV systems, was that too much bias normally went to the front, given that the rear was relatively unloaded for most of the time. Then when it was loaded up in the rear with passengers or cargo, it didn't work as the pads and disks were knackered with lack of use and the valve business didn't work at it generally had seized up due to lack of exercise, rendering said car with useful front brakes only. Maybe you have an issue here, but slightly in reverse?

Back