Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Service pack or individual bits?

I have changed oil filters every oil change. If for no other reason but to get all the old oil out. On the 120 its been just before every 10k miles. On the 105 i have been doing 4k to 5k miles.

Fuel filter 15 to 20k. But i havent done many 20k rounds in the last few yrs of LC owership:)

TP has a good point about the valve inside the genuine filter. If you use a filter without one you have NO OIL PRESSURE for a few seconds every time you start the engine.

I had to laugh at the Tacoma oil filter comparo write up - good chuckle at the guy doing the comparison. I've read similar before, just not quite as many contenders. I always use OEM filters - the price difference is just not worth the potential hassle, and I get mine from Steven Eagell Toyota (Simon Holton is always good to us).

Oil I get using the club discount at Opie Oils

Thanks for the guidance chaps, all genuine filters on order and due for collection tomorrow.

Now, about these Prop-joints - would you gents recommend a flexible hose or a syringe type?

(apologies for bundling questions)!

Standard grease gun with a flexible hose helps loads as it saves a bit of hassle if the grease nipples are not aligned perfectly, the flexibility helps to grease round corners.
I use standard general purpose grease on the uj and moly on the sliding sections.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There I was, innocently googling for "strap-on" and "nipples" (as you do) and low and behold, it took me directly to this thread :lol:.

For me, it's oil change every 10k km, 10/40 semi synth usually Total or Mobil, cos there's quite a lot of fake "brands" here if you're not careful. Know your supplier is the key.

OEM oil, air & fuel filters at the same time. It's at about 10 month intervals for me so the price isn't really an issue.

UJ grease every 4k km, and as Frank said, care to check that all 4 are oozing. No ooze, no grease, dry bearing, dead UJ. It's just a matter of time, and they don't last long dry.

Care not to overload the slider splines with too much grease.

My waaaaay OTT oil changes worked out on average about every 4,000 miles and IIRC perhaps once over 5,000. On one occasion it was after a mere 2,000 odd miles bad memory and all that!

As the nearest Toyota dealer is around a three hour return trip I have been purchasing the Bosch alternative, a box of six filters @ trade are around a tenner each? I used the six in two years such is my oil change fetish!
I changed my oil a couple of weeks back before the recent trip over to Rodger and Corinne's and could only get a 'Millard' version, need to get some more spares in.

I do recall a guy in the states many years back being threatened by big people when he exposed the cheap and crappy oil filters that were being sold, there is certainly some crap out there!

regards

Dave

Also forged "genuine" Toyo parts are available so best to go to dealer direct. Parts are made so cheaply in China even £13 is 100% profit lol.

Kawasaki genuine oil filters have been made in China for a couple of years now. I first noticed the switch when I purchased one from a dealer. Don't know if they have their own plant in China or if they have them made by a third party but they look identical. I even cut one open after an oil & filter change and couldn't see a difference.
I had and inflatable RIB made in China a few years ago and it was VERY well made with quality materials at less than half the price of a Zodiac. "Made in China" doesn't necessarily mean poor quality.

Have to agree TP. my Samsung phone is made in China and is the real deal however, a friend bought a MIC copy and has had nothing but trouble, I guess there are two halves of China, we just need to get around what side does the best gear?

In Spain the locals stopped buying products 'Fabrica en Chino', so the labels have been changed, now they say 'Fabrica en PRC', and they happily purchase away.

I once ordered brake discs from my local supplier, the box was labelled, 'Made in China, but inspected in Europe'!

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Tend to buy Mann oil & fuel filters with LG motor oil change every 5000 miles.

This seems to work well for me no issues. Used cheaper filters before but tended to run better towards the end cycle before servicing with the Mann brand.

IMG_4345.JPG

Just spotted this link to a whitepaper on new filter materials for hydraylic systems from the good ol IET.

Might be of interest to some of the pros out there.

Back