Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Set-back, or start-over...?

Firstly, glad to hear your all ok. The 80 seems to have stood up pretty well to a fight with an arctic and pin balling off the armco, good to see the armco and 80 did their job. It is a shame for her to end up like this, after your efforts to find a good one, but it looked after you well.

So its a UK car, residing in Sweden and crashed in France, sounds complicated. Good that the insurer recovered it back home (Sweden?), instead of just scrapping her on the spot. Where the vehicle is may have a bearing on the viability of any repairs. I don't know what the second hand 80 spares market/supply is like in Sweden, we have a couple of breakers in the UK, which is a great help if you need the parts that your 80 will require.

Although the 80 has stood up well there is a fair bit of damage that will need repairing, it could be done - but the economics of the repair may not add up. If you have the time, space, skill set and resources to do the work, then your off to a good start. If not, then it could get quite expensive farming the work out.

From the limited views we have in the pics I would be concerned in the following order:

1) Drivers side front - seems to have been pushed across a bit (wing has pushed under the bonnet), this may need inner and outer wings (IIRC both inner and outer wings bolt on). The impact to the drivers wheel may have bent the front axle or the chassis axle mounting points and steering box mounting point (a known weakness in the chassis). Any repairs to the chassis could be complex, if its only the front axle, thats a lot easier to swap out.

2) The rear quarters pinching the tailgate - rear end squashed. Repairable, but if you want it repaired to pre accident condition - panel gaps consistent, panels repaired and painted - it could be costly.

3) The B pillar and drivers side doors - As long as the B pillar hasn't moved too much it can be pulled into line, again it will need to be spot on for the doors to line up correctly.

All repairs should be possible, but its the amount of repairs/work that could make it not viable - unless you do a lot of work yourself.

I know what you mean re the effort to find a good 80, it took me 9 months to find mine, and then like you I spent time and money getting her spot on. So whatever the future holds for your 80 I would definitely buy her back from the insurance company even at a £1000. Although I would enquire why its a £1000 to buy back, its normally 10% of the settlement (unless their paying out £10,000!).

I think you have a few options:

1) Re shell her with another good condition body shell - would be easier than doing all the repairs to your existing body. Its not too difficult to separate the body and chassis on an 80, then you could used your original as a parts donor to get the replacement body up to scratch. Demand for 80 body shells is low, so the cost of a body shouldn't be too bad, its just getting one to you could be the issue.

2) Buy another 80 and keep your current one for spares.

3) Buy another 80. Repair your existing 80 as and when on a tight budget and to a safe but bruised standard. Then you'll have one nice one for daily use and a second battle scared one for off road fun.

4) Repair your current body - but as Chris has said, without a lot of work it may never quite be as good again.

Lots to think about, but I would strongly recommend retaining the 80, even if you decide to not repair or use her as a parts donor, she is still worth more than a £1000 to sell on for spares.

The main chassis rails are the first thing to check. They should be measured diagonally from their ends. I guess they should within 5mm of each other. Then check for twisting. The ends should be in the same plane by I guess 3mm. If these are OK the chassis should be repairable as I would suspect the suspension points are sacrificial and can be replaced. Just looking at one of the wheels at the front which appears to be pushed back. I can't find the chassis in the WSM's just now.

Thanks all for the great posts, esp Scott for your very thorough analysis of my predicament and options.

To clarify - I spend most of my time in Sweden but the LC is UK based so was sent back to Blighty after the crash (yes, they tried to pay out and leave it there but I know that would further limit my options so I insisted they repatriate it for inspection). That may explain the high salvage price tag.

Sweden, as with most of continental Europe, never saw many 80s, so they're rare and 2-3 times the price. Closest I've found was Germany, no market here.

Given what I've read here, yes it's entirely fixable but unlikely to make economic sense. And therein lies the rub... I guess I'm a bit soppy when it comes to my 80. I suspect I'm not alone on that front:)

So Scott's Option 3 it is!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

The fact that the 80 is back in the UK will make it a lot easier and cheaper to get the 2nd hand replacement parts to the vehicle. Well done for standing your ground and getting the 80 transported back.

The way I see it you now get to have two lots of fun, first buying a replacement 80 and the second building a play 80 from your damaged one. It always seems a shame to bash and beat up a good condition 80, so if it already has a few battle scars to start with it means you can be a little more adventurous without crying over the odd scratch or bruise when that tree gets in the way!

Glad your keeping it, we should try and retain as many as we can, as insurance companies seem too keen to just scrap a vehicle that has so many usable parts, or with a bit of cosmetic compromise could be returned to the road.

Good luck.

Sweden, as with most of continental Europe, never saw many 80s, so they're rare and 2-3 times the price. Closest I've found was Germany, no market here.

Very true, I mentioned only the other day on here there is here in Spain a 92 (no lockers/smaller brakes and wheels) for 12,000 euros!

It is a very tidy car in Silver to be fair but, showing interest the lowest I could get it for was 11,500 euros, and in typical Spanish fashion the paperwork would only show half that!!

regards

Dave

Just my tuppence... Repaired cars are usually never quite the same and there is a certain feeling that comes with them in my experience. You find that the window leaks and there's a whistle at 70 mph etc.

One option would be to buy it back from the insurer. I did, for £250! Take the rest of the insurance. Then break the car and sell the big obvious bits. Wheels, tailgate, engine, gearbox, transfer box, axles and make quite a sum frankly. Then take all of your kit from it and start again. There are some decent ones still about and prices are sensible at present. You might even get one that's been done to a fair overland standard to get you going.

Just an alternative thought.
This. [emoji121]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Guy, good to read that you're all OK, roughly where in the UK is the truck at the moment as am sure someone on here should be localish to the truck to help measure/photograph in detail etc?

Looks to be a very clean 80 so wish you luck..Cheers Chris,,

Sorry - tried to reply earlier but phone died mid-post! The truck is in Surrey somewhere, some salvage intermediary for Aviva insurance. I was due to go along last week to have a look but I'm in a stand-off with Aviva about the claim so keeping distance until someone blinks. Nothing sinister - they're just low-balling the pre-accident value and high-balling the salvage value. Hopefully it will shake our this week - I'll check back in once it's settled.

Show them selected adds out of the press then add your extras. I've had this twice and they collapsed big time when I got unpleasant but it took weeks.

^ What Frank said x2, best of luck Guy sorting this lot out and hope that everything that was bolted to the truck is still 'bolted to the truck'..

Back