Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Shape of things to come ?

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-china-xinjiang-idUKKBN1600DO[/QUOTE

They already have you by the smartphone anyway, car is just an extra.
Your location can be tracked retrospectively if you'be done something, by using the transmitter data, if you're a person of interest I imagine they have you on live monitoring by turning on the GPS in your phone covertly.

If you've nothing to hide then you've nothing to worry about ...
Ignoring the Birmingham six , the Guilford four, Stockwell, Orgreave , Hillsborough, Barry George etc etc etc

I suppose that what caught my eye is that this is state decreed mass surveillance of any and all vehicle movements, bought in under the guise of anti terrorism by a government keen to control those of a different ethnicity or mindset. At least, so far, we do have the option not to have a mobile phone, satnav or dashcam beaming our movements back to a central control. On a more mundane level, speed cameras would be redundant…………

I suppose that what caught my eye is that this is state decreed mass surveillance of any and all vehicle movements, bought in under the guise of anti terrorism by a government keen to control those of a different ethnicity or mindset. At least, so far, we do have the option not to have a mobile phone, satnav or dashcam beaming our movements back to a central control. On a more mundane level, speed cameras would be redundant…………

I think the mass surveilance is sold to us as monitoring undesirables and terrorists etc, but we all end up being monitored in the end. It's no to control ethnicities or mindsets ..It's to contol EVERYONE.
What benefits does CCTV provide ? it doesn't prevent crime it only gives us the improved ability to catch the offender or better evidence to secure a conviction. We have the CCTV of the bombers but we still have bloody bits of people scattered over a wide area.
The danger in being complacent in regards to matters of privacy and surveillance is we may well live in a reasonably free country with a reasonably fair governement but there is no way of knowing it will always be that way. What you may see as harmless now, could in a couple of centuries be an instrument used to subjugate and control your descendants.
20% of the worlds CCTV cameras are in the UK, your image is captured by over 300 cameras a day.
your E-mails and social media are scanned constantly and your calls listened to automatically. Your webcam can be turned on without your knowledge and the microphone on your smartphone too.
Don't believe me :astonished:. Try a little experiment ...
If you have a smartphone with the Facebook app installed (think back to when you accepted the agreement to "allow app to access your contact/microphone/camera etc")
several times over the course of the day mention something you may be interested in buying, how about a holiday to the Maldives or some none surgical anti ageing treatment. Now take a look at your targeted advertising on facebook and let me know what it comes up with.

I think the mass surveilance is sold to us as monitoring undesirables and terrorists etc, but we all end up being monitored in the end. It's no to control ethnicities or mindsets ..It's to contol EVERYONE.
What benefits does CCTV provide ? it doesn't prevent crime it only gives us the improved ability to catch the offender or better evidence to secure a conviction. We have the CCTV of the bombers but we still have bloody bits of people scattered over a wide area.
The danger in being complacent in regards to matters of privacy and surveillance is we may well live in a reasonably free country with a reasonably fair governement but there is no way of knowing it will always be that way. What you may see as harmless now, could in a couple of centuries be an instrument used to subjugate and control your descendants.
20% of the worlds CCTV cameras are in the UK, your image is captured by over 300 cameras a day.
your E-mails and social media are scanned constantly and your calls listened to automatically. Your webcam can be turned on without your knowledge and the microphone on your smartphone too.
Don't believe me :astonished:. Try a little experiment ...
If you have a smartphone with the Facebook app installed (think back to when you accepted the agreement to "allow app to access your contact/microphone/camera etc")
several times over the course of the day mention something you may be interested in buying, how about a holiday to the Maldives or some none surgical anti ageing treatment. Now take a look at your targeted advertising on facebook and let me know what it comes up with.
This is what freaked the Good Woman out a couple of weeks back. She was talking to one of her friends about something....a couple of hours later when she was checking stuff on her technology, lo and behold there were these 'tailored' adverts relating to what they had been discussing......

Don't believe me :astonished:

I believe you ! It’s not only social media but also shopping sites and search engines that are tracked, and not just for targeted advertising. Number plate and facial recognition have been around for a while and in telecommunications, various agencies were early adopters of multitrack and word recognition software which would home in on and flag up key words. It’s not a new or necessarily bad thing, but as you say, it’s the use to which such information gathered is put, the intentions of those (authorised or not) with access to it and the security of such info.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You beat me to it ! Time to go back to the Morris Minor :)

"But, obviously, mechanics can only access the OBD when the vehicle is stationary."

I'm a big BBC fan, but they do write some old cobblers some times.

I think the point is Rob that the OBD cannot be read unless you have access to a suitable machine so if manufacturers refuse to share the software you can be held to ransom .

I have only recently and unwillingly started reading anything the BBC prints as their political agenda is blatantly obvious , with all the censorship and misdirected going on i find its a good place to start research because if they run a story then the truth is usually out there somewhere , often in a foreign newspaper .

I think the point is Rob that the OBD cannot be read unless you have access to a suitable machine so if manufacturers refuse to share the software you can be held to ransom .

I have only recently and unwillingly started reading anything the BBC prints as their political agenda is blatantly obvious , with all the censorship and misdirected going on i find its a good place to start research because if they run a story then the truth is usually out there somewhere , often in a foreign newspaper .

Yes, but if you don't have something capabale of reading the OBD output the state of motion of the vehicle is irrelevant. A confusing way of expressing that.

Sorry to hear you are being made to read output from the BBC against your will. I think they give a high level overview of what's going on, and if I want additional detail I can read local press sources. Or if I have a particular view I want reinforcing there are generally plenty of information providers that will do that too. I think we're veering dangerously towards the other forum though :)

Don't worry about your phone listening to your conversations, watch out for the camera in your TV, and the microphone in your fridge freezer and microwave.

regards

Dave

TBH I think the governments are just saying this to cover the fact that they already CAN read your private messages. I spent many years in IT and taking charge of somebody's account on a server WITHOUT administrators privileges was a doddle, that was years back. Encryption is not exactly the same but, if you have powerful enough computers anything in use today can be hacked, the BS about not being able to do it is a smoke screen.

Remember the Blackberry debacle? They (Blackberry), refused to give out the cyphers, so their servers were hacked and the system brought to a standstill for days (or was it weeks?), was that a little punishment, or simply a warning to others that it CAN be done.

I am all for citizens rights and all that guff but, at the end of the day (apart from getting dark), your private life is simply no longer private, I have sod all to hide so they can listen all they like. Those who want to protest feel free to go ahead, I appreciate and indeed support your cause, but I simply cannot be bothered to fight a battle that you have already lost.

regards

Dave

Back