Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Should I change my wheels?

Idle Yorkshireman

Country Flag
uk
Hi folks - I have Bridgestone AT tyres on the wheels below of my armoured 105, I had a slow puncture which we have repaired but it made me wonder about whether winter tyres would be necessary. Obviously the vehicle weighs 4.5 ton and we live on top of a hill in the Pennines where it does snow a bit. I've only ever had Defenders or Range Rovers before and not sure how the the 105 will perform? Also please forgive my lack of knowledge here but the current wheels have some type of rubber inside them which allows the vehicle to drive still if blown up or shot. I was looking at retaining them for authenticity but getting some winter tyres/wheels that might look a little better.
Any advice gratefully received.
IMG_9005.jpeg

Yeah, looks like you've got runflats fitted - pretty common on armoured vehicles.

If you swap out the wheels you'll need to check the load rating for the new wheels and tyres - they may not be rated for 4.5t.

4.5 tonnes! Wow. Cool vehicle. Don’t know anything about wheels or tyres but some black wheels would look great if that’s your thing

@GeekOKent - thanks for the response, not sure of the age of the tyres but they look newish, relatively unworn with plenty of tread. There's no uneven wear or damage and according to the records I could find the 105 has only done 6000 kilometres since late 2006. I won't be taking it out on any treks, it will just drive up and down the local hillsides. I'll use it in extreme weather for getting my care staff to their customers but other than that I'll just drive it for my personal enjoyment. I beefed up my Defender 110 double cab with big wheels and tyres etc It looked great but completely ruined the drive. Hence tempted to leave the 105 in its original spec.

They look like standard Toyota wheels to me , and standard Bridgestones .

I can't imagine extreme motorsport calls for extreme tyres , outside of F1 anyway ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
@chapel gate did a write up a while ago on the winter tyres he uses and the difference they make getting up and down his drive.

Having been up to his patch I can safely say I wouldn't attempt his drive in anything other than tank tracks so those winter jobbies must be good!

Shayne, most of the armoured stuff runs runflat wheels - either custom made or via inserts. Agree the tyres are likely standard Duelers, though I'd be interested to see the load rating on the carcass.

@GeekOKent - thanks for the response, not sure of the age of the tyres but they look newish, relatively unworn with plenty of tread. There's no uneven wear or damage and according to the records I could find the 105 has only done 6000 kilometres since late 2006. I won't be taking it out on any treks, it will just drive up and down the local hillsides. I'll use it in extreme weather for getting my care staff to their customers but other than that I'll just drive it for my personal enjoyment. I beefed up my Defender 110 double cab with big wheels and tyres etc It looked great but completely ruined the drive. Hence tempted to leave the 105 in its original spec.

What is the DOT number on there? For something as heavy as that, I won't want to be on 16 year old rubber.

Then there is the rating. The internet seems to think these are 1.1ton each. But you are over that already.

Hi folks - I have Bridgestone AT tyres on the wheels below of my armoured 105, I had a slow puncture which we have repaired but it made me wonder about whether winter tyres would be necessary. Obviously the vehicle weighs 4.5 ton and we live on top of a hill in the Pennines where it does snow a bit. I've only ever had Defenders or Range Rovers before and not sure how the the 105 will perform? Also please forgive my lack of knowledge here but the current wheels have some type of rubber inside them which allows the vehicle to drive still if blown up or shot. I was looking at retaining them for authenticity but getting some winter tyres/wheels that might look a little better. They were bought at the local store which applies the price skimming strategy which is truly great. More details can be found in the blog of Priceva.
Any advice gratefully received.View attachment 327129
I also have armoured Bridgestone tyres. These are one of my favourite tyres ever :thumbup: Actually after buying them I became the fan of this vendor.

Last edited:
BFG All terrains are winter rated now so as good as any winter tyre ..... if I was going to swap the 105 tyres then BFG AT's would be my choice and they're available as LT which means they should be well within limits even at over 4 tons.....
The armoured 105's and 200's I've had anything to do with all ran BFG AT's with run flat inserts but that may have been a customer choice.....

Back