Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Should I or shouldnt I?

Received my little measuring jug today!!!

20170913_210233.jpg

I finished work early today.
So I gave it a run round the long block to warm up the oil.
I got underneath and cracked the 24mm fill point nut on the drivers side of the gearbox.
Then I undid the 14mm drain plug and placed my mahoosive measuring jug underneath.
I was quite surprised that I got just short of 4 litres out.
I then started taking out the sump securing bolts on the auto box, and that's where it all went down hill!!.

Three bolts sheared off, I'm sure Toyota have skimped on these bolts. I Only had my small 1/4 drive rachet on.

I changed the internal filter over and I cleaned the sump up and All the internal magnets. The old filter was pretty clean with only a couple of alumium shaving probably from assembly.

I then coupled a cardboard shield together while I drilled the three bolts out and 're tapped them.
I cleaned the face up on the auto box and used a bit of instant gasket to stick the new gasket to the sump pan. Then went In for a cuppa, while it set.

I then put a small bead around the face of the auto box and 're installed the sump pan. The chocolate bolts are 10mm. If I was doing it again I would order a new set of bolts.

Then I measured out the new oil and put it in my new adapted pressure sprayer and pushed the oil in with this, via the top fill hole.

Job done and yes it does feel smoother already. I would say that the sealed for life WS fluid is definitely not sealed for life. It was not nice and red when coming out(see Pics). And I'm only on 82 thousand miles

If you have no problems with the auto box and you just want to replace the fluid i really wouldnt bother with the filter as it just ends up agro with the chocolate bolts. Changing the fluid is prety easy with the pressure sprayer method.

Sorry for lack of pics but once i had sheared bolts i had a race against the light to get it all back together.

20170915_151251.jpg 20170915_152759.jpg 20170915_152218.jpg 20170915_155622.jpg

Last edited:
I finished work early today.
So I gave it a run round the long block to warm up the oil.
I got underneath and cracked the 24mm fill point nut on the drivers side of the gearbox.
Then I undid the 14mm drain plug and placed my mahoosive measuring jug underneath.
I was quite surprised that I got just short of 4 litres out.
I then started taking out the sump securing bolts on the auto box, and that's where it all went down hill!!.

Three bolts sheared off, I'm sure Toyota have skimped on these bolts. I Only had my small 1/4 drive rachet on.

I changed the internal filter over and I cleaned the sump up and All the internal magnets. The old filter was pretty clean with only a couple of alumium shaving probably from assembly.

I then coupled a cardboard shield together while I drilled the three bolts out and 're tapped them.
I cleaned the face up on the auto box and used a bit of instant gasket to stick the new gasket to the sump pan. Then went In for a cuppa, while it set.

I then put a small bead around the face of the auto box and 're installed the sump pan. The chocolate bolts are 10mm if I was doing it again I would order a new set off bolts.

Then I measured out the new oil and put it in my new adapted pressure sprayer and pushed the oil in with this, via the top fill hole.

Job done and yes it does feel smoother already. I would say that the sealed for life WS fluid is definitely not sealed for life. It was not nice and red when coming out. And I'm only on 82 thousand miles

If you have no problems with the auto box and you just want to replace the fluid i really wouldnt bother with the filter as it just ends up agro with the chocolate bolts. Changing the fluid is prety easy with the pressure sprayer method.

View attachment 133017 View attachment 133018 View attachment 133019 View attachment 133020
Hi Joe
Did you drain it with it jacked up at the front or level on the ground to get nearly 4 litres out or is that including what was left in the sump after carefully removing the sump pan.

I had it on my level drive and jacked the front up slightly. yes this includes the bit that seems to stay in the sump, so remove carefully when taking out the sump. Also the filter holds a little bit.

I will drive it for another couple of weeks and drop the fluid out again and replace for the last time.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I will drive it for another couple of weeks and drop the fluid out again and replace for the last time.
I had it on my level drive and jacked the front up slightly. yes this includes the bit that seems to stay in the sump, so remove carefully when taking out the sump. Also the filter holds a little bit.
I did the same filter change on a Lexus Ls400 some years ago which had 170k miles the filter looked as good as new so I cut it open and it was as good as new inside the casing, so I dont want to go down that route again as I got my face and hair covered in atf oil dripping on me while I was removing and refitting the filter. I have got 10 litres of ws oil and I am going to drain the pan and then refill through the pan refill pipe which is next to the coolant reservoir in the engine bay I plan on putting back what I get out of the pan first then running the engine
with the pipe disconnected and a 10mm pipe connected to the fitting and draining one litre and switch off engine and putting back one litre though the rubber pipe with a tom thumb pump fitted to the atf can to keep every thing dust free one litre at a time until I have used up the new atf. I plan on doing it all with the atf oil cold so I get the correct amount of atf in as I got out as the atf expands when hot which leads to incorrect refill.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure that it has a refill line near the coolant bottle?
Yes I am sure, if you are going to use that way to fill and drain be sure to clean the pipe well before disconnecting the rubber pipe from the fitting as not to get any dirt in while draining and filling and reconnecting the pipe as keeping everything clean is a must.

Yes I am sure, if you are going to use that way to fill and drain be sure to clean the pipe well before disconnecting the rubber pipe from the fitting as not to get any dirt in while draining and filling and reconnecting the pipe as keeping everything clean is a must.

Il have a look again tomorrow but i didnt see any hose. all i have is the 24mm fill plug, a 14mm drain plug and the allen key plug to check the fluid level.

What year is your LC?

The hose is on the drivers side on the opposite end of the transmission of the filler plug it comes from the trans cooler at the front next to the coolant rad the return hose is next to the coolant res just above the bottom holding bolt of the coolant res where the second battery side ie drivers side . I learnt this method of flushing the transmission from pradopoint by a guy called Ants who makes his living working on Lcs my car is a 09 120 Invincible which is the same 5 speed auto as yours if you look on pradopoint Ant goes through the procedure with pics

Right my next thing i would like to do is change the auto box fluid. i know it takes the silly priced WS ATF and its supposed to be sealed for life, but it doesnt sit well with me.
My LC has done 81k now and is 13 years old. so the oil must be pretty crap by now.

what would you do?

I just looked on opie oils and the oil isnt too pricey.
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60226-millers-oils-millermatic-atf-sp-iii-ws.aspx

I can also change the filter too.
http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/automatic-transmission-fluid-filter-strainer-35330-60050.html
Right my next thing i would like to do is change the auto box fluid. i know it takes the silly priced WS ATF and its supposed to be sealed for life, but it doesnt sit well with me.
My LC has done 81k now and is 13 years old. so the oil must be pretty crap by now.

what would you do?

I just looked on opie oils and the oil isnt too pricey.
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60226-millers-oils-millermatic-atf-sp-iii-ws.aspx

I can also change the filter too.
http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/automatic-transmission-fluid-filter-strainer-35330-60050.html

As part of an oils and fluids change, when I asked my Toyota garage to change the autobox oil, now remember, this was when I had over 210,0 miles on the clock.
He asked me "why", is the autobox misbehaving ?
To which I replied it was excellent.

He said along the lines of " we will change the oil at 500,000 miles, just leave it.

So I left it.

Sold it eventually with 275,000 miles, and about 20,000 of them miles was towing a 4 wheels caravan.

Go figure

Graham.

Hi Graham.

Haven't you been tempted back to a landcruiser yet?

Its not really the mileage that bothers me, it was the fact i was driving around with 13 year old oil in the box.
i think the photo of the old oil in the jug shows that it needed changing. il take another pic of the oil when i drop it again and see what it looks like.

I dropped it out again I only got out this much. But I do have enough oil left to drop and change again.
The colour is slightly better this time. Now I have dropped the sump and changed the filter, the changing of the oil is easy with the pressure bottle.

20170919_133150.jpg

Back