Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Should I or shouldnt I?

silvercruiser

Right my next thing i would like to do is change the auto box fluid. i know it takes the silly priced WS ATF and its supposed to be sealed for life, but it doesnt sit well with me.
My LC has done 81k now and is 13 years old. so the oil must be pretty crap by now.

what would you do?

I just looked on opie oils and the oil isnt too pricey.
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60226-millers-oils-millermatic-atf-sp-iii-ws.aspx

I can also change the filter too.
http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/automatic-transmission-fluid-filter-strainer-35330-60050.html

Last edited:
If you can guarantee that you can do it without letting the slightest bit of dirt in then do whatever makes you happiest. If there's a chance of getting one grain of dirt in-leave we'll alone.
An auto box is a sealed hydraulic unit (save for the breather and dipstick if fitted). It will be produced at the factory under strict clean room conditions and sealed up with filtered oil and no contaminants present. The only time this can change is when the oil is changed, if a breather is compromised or the unit is opened up. So if none of the above has happened, why would there be any reason to change the fluid? Heat is what will kill the oil. If your ATF smells burned then it's time for a change but to keep it contaminant free the new oil needs filtering to the same spec as when the box was filled in the factory (otherwise how do you know it is contaminent free?). If it looks red and doesn't smell burned then why change it and risk that one particle that could get in and cause damage?

This is looking at it from a hydraulics engineer perspective rather than a mechanics perspective (see Hydraulic Supermarket) and is food for thought. By all means change it, but make certain you don't cause a problem doing it. There's every chance you'll find what you remove in excellent condition and not in need of change unless your box has suffered some mishap.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you can guarantee that you can do it without letting the slightest bit of dirt in then do whatever makes you happiest. If there's a chance of getting one grain of dirt in-leave we'll alone.
An auto box is a sealed hydraulic unit (save for the breather and dipstick if fitted). It will be produced at the factory under strict clean room conditions and sealed up with filtered oil and no contaminants present. The only time this can change is when the oil is changed, if a breather is compromised or the unit is opened up. So if none of the above has happened, why would there be any reason to change the fluid? Heat is what will kill the oil. If your ATF smells burned then it's time for a change but to keep it contaminant free the new oil needs filtering to the same spec as when the box was filled in the factory (otherwise how do you know it is contaminent free?). If it looks red and doesn't smell burned then why change it and risk that one particle that could get in and cause damage?

This is looking at it from a hydraulics engineer perspective rather than a mechanics perspective (see Hydraulic Supermarket) and is food for thought. By all means change it, but make certain you don't cause a problem doing it. There's every chance you'll find what you remove in excellent condition and not in need of change unless your box has suffered some mishap.

Yes, this is probably why im asking the question because in the back of my head im saying " if it aint broke dont fix it" and then the other part of me says do it! do it! il have more of a read up and decide after that. Thanks for the Link Rob.

Well, i have taken the plunge and ordered the filter and oil. i will buy a brand new pressure sprayer that i will adapt and use to put the oil back in. and be super careful to avoid any contamination. does anyone know if the sump has a gasket or is it an instant gasket type stuck on?

If done without getting any contaminent in then any maintenance has to be good. Bands must surely wear for example, so where does the metal go? Into the filter, which is really a big suction strainer. If plugged, this would lead to cavitation and rapid damage. Would it plug up? I doubt it very much as it's huge!
The good bit is that the gearbox opening is underneath and unlikely to get toot in it. So, do it right, keep it clean and filter the new oil and you'll be no different to factory.

Be sure to check if the gearbox needs telling it has new oil/re adapting.

On BMW with the lifetime oil the gearbox adapts with the oil (bmw don't make their own boxes) so just changing it can cause problems with gearshift etc.

I've seen oil changed, gearbox reset properly etc and the box give up after a couple of thousand miles with a failed clutch/brake pack. All the particles in the oil were most likely helping with required friction lol.

On the other hand the police cars get the oil changed at 80 to 100k miles and continue to take more abuse.

The same oil and a similar gearbox is used in the hybrids (no torque convetor as has a big ass motor instead) and has a 60k miles service interval due to the extra heat.

I'd want to change it, I changed the lifetime oil in my cars box as how long is a lifetime!?

As already said keep it clean etc and your gearbox will be thankful of some fresh lube.

Watching, intently!

Can you post a few photos please Silvercruiser, that would be much appreciated, thank you.

Look what arrived today.
Just waiting for my new sump gasket from Simon and jobs a goer.

20170906_145101.jpg 20170906_145106.jpg

Be very interested to see what the old strainer looks like. Not seen anyone change one, but they must be or I assume Roughtrax wouldn't be stocking them. Are you going to push through clean oil, or just drain from the bottom plug and put back in the few litres that come out?

Im going to drain as much out as possible, measure the amount of oil that came out, take the sump off and change the filter. re fit the sump with the new seal and put the same amount back in. run it for a while and then drain again. ready for the last of the new oil.

Don't know if you've seen this. On an A750F box. Noticed yours is 2004, so is it the 5 speed auto? I assume so with WS fluid?

Yeah my LC has the 5 speed box. i dont think i would follow the video too closely :lol:
I dont like his spray tack idea.

Back