Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sill repairs to corrosion.

Odin 8

Supporter
Country Flag
england
This is the worst bit that we have found on the Amazon. The NSR Wheel arch was blistering but it did not look too bad until we went in with the grinder to reveal a fiberglass repair. To be fair it was a good repair, you would not have known.
Anyway, its all cut out to reveal like a three piece sill arrangement, an inner piece with two outers. One the Outer sill, the other going up to the floor. On with shaping some new pieces in a 1.5mm steel plate to weld in. It will be strong when done, just proably means working New Years Day if I want my MOT pit back for next week.

Attachments

• NSRI Wheel arch corrosion1.jpg
    NSRI Wheel arch corrosion1.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 108
  • Fiberglass 1.jpg
    Fiberglass 1.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 103
  • Fiberglass 2.jpg
    Fiberglass 2.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 90
  • Fiberglass 3.jpg
    Fiberglass 3.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 94
  • NSRI wheel arch corrosion 2.jpg
    NSRI wheel arch corrosion 2.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 92
  • NSRI Underside corrosion 1.jpg
    NSRI Underside corrosion 1.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 102
The rear wheel arch/sill area seems to be a weak spot for corrosion on the 80 and 100 series. Looks like you're not taking any half measures with the repairs!:thumbup:

When looking at Landcruiser 100s before buying this one, I was looking on E-bay at parts, availability, like yer do. I did come across an East European site producing repair panels, sills, wheel arches etc. So when I did look at this motor these were obvious areas. I was aware that the sills needed the work and I am more than happy to do it, because I know what its going to get plus a large amount of Waxoyl blown inside. However, the wheel arches did not look bad at all. It was a good fiberglass repair but I want steel in there, it won't be rotting again.

I am sure that there are a good few out there without corrosion, but they will be in the ten grand plus bracket. That kind of money in a motor is not for me. My best motors have always been someone elses scrap with the potential for me to turn it into what I want. We have to put the labour during the early stages, but the end results are worth it.

BobMurphy is our resident expert on 100 series sills. He did a cracking job on his which were pretty bad!.......
Thank you - thank you . .

BUT - My tin-bashing skills are more akin to a 'Mad Max' vehicle than a prestige Toyota :doh:.

Its a job I hate - which is why both Landcruisers are still off the road. crawling about under trucks with a welding torch with limited space in the cold is not my idea of fun.

I must be getting old.

Anyway - New Year's resolution - Get both trucks fixed in 2022 :thumbup: .

Have a Good New Year Folks.

Bob.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Bob a suggestion if I may have you thought about heated blankets for your crawer boards they would love you for such a kindness and an added bonus is you get to lie down on something warm or heated motorbike clothing rather than using the concrete floor as a heat sink

As long as you went into it eyes-open, Odin - looks like you're definitely doing it "properly" in any case (great to have access to all the facilities of course, rather than grubbing about on the driveway like many of us!). Should be a keeper when you're done. :)

Back