Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

single battery

Later GX did have fake wood but my GX is later reg than that & does not have the fake wood but imports can vary in spec of course, however a basic car check shows that one registered 14/5/99 which is likely the date of reg after import with original registration being before March 99 to be an S. Reg does reassuringly check out as a grey/blue as likely rather than the silver marked in the ad.
Often the speedometer is corrected by a face plate to you get the MPH but the odometer still shows KMH. Does not appear to have the UK spec bumper lights. Not sure if that is a problem as an import. The reflectors in the bumper appear smaller to me than the light clusters would have been so may not be able to swap so easily IF you do want that. As an import it may not have locking rear diff but that may not bother you.
Check for any signs of water in the ATF as well as rad condition. If you get an auto then flush and fill and change filter. Mine looked fine and the rad was fine but I did need an transmission rebuild a few months down the line as a clutch jammed because of a stuck valve (mileage was about 206,000 ish IIRC). (Great service by Suffolk Automatic Transmissions - no affiliation).
Would definitely get a history check before parting with cash. I have used mycarcheck.com (no affiliation) but there are others of course.
Twin battery was part of the Northern Spec seemingly more commonly known as the Winter Spec which also had the heated fuel filter housing although these can be picked up used for about 30 quid. Pros & cons with the twin battery but wouldn't worry in UK unless using with veg oil as may help with colder starts and warming of fuel with the heated filter. Downsides can be weight and one battery dying taking the other with it.
MOT History www.check-mot.service.gov.uk shows last 2 were straight through passes with no advisories and no suggestion of corrosion needing welding which is hopefully reassuring but how much depends on the tester and what has happened since. Hopefully being in the south then there is likely to be less snow / ice & corrosive salt on the road but who knows where it's been before that. Reading the MOT history can sometimes be really useful to give an idea how well things have been looked after. I know it is mentioned in the ad but may be useful to mention the service for future readers who may not be able to access the ad.
My present 90 when I bought it was a one lady owner from Southampton.where it spent all its life. from the front bumper to the rear wheels were and still like new.. BUT from there on ive never seen a chassis so rotten and corroded it took a lot of replacing/welding to get things right. Im sure she use to reverse it into the sea before tea and bed time. weather there from north or south if they want to rot they will...But it had cracking batteries

My present 90 when I bought it was a one lady owner from Southampton.where it spent all its life. from the front bumper to the rear wheels were and still like new.. BUT from there on ive never seen a chassis so rotten and corroded it took a lot of replacing/welding to get things right. Im sure she use to reverse it into the sea before tea and bed time. weather there from north or south if they want to rot they will...But it had cracking batteries

Yes the sea air may be good for us but not for cars. The 90 I bought was from Lincolnshire then moved to the midlands so away from the sea air and I ended up buying it from a place in Meriden, about as far from the coast as you can get in the UK. One of the first things I did when looking was put on overalls and crawl underneath. The seller was quite shocked and said he had not observed such behaviour before (but then most cars wouldn't have the room). There was a weld on the diff cover plate but everything else seemed pretty sound. My first MOT with it picked up some slight corrosion by one of the trailing arm mounts which they said would be OK with a rub down and treatment as long as I didn't leave it too long. Soon afterwards my son and myself were wire-brushing away and treating and painting. Others much newer I looked at had not been anywhere near as decent underneath. There's certainly plenty of capacity for catching and holding mud at the back end. Batteries were really rough on mine but negotiated 2 new replacements.

Yes the sea air may be good for us but not for cars. The 90 I bought was from Lincolnshire then moved to the midlands so away from the sea air and I ended up buying it from a place in Meriden, about as far from the coast as you can get in the UK. One of the first things I did when looking was put on overalls and crawl underneath. The seller was quite shocked and said he had not observed such behaviour before (but then most cars wouldn't have the room). There was a weld on the diff cover plate but everything else seemed pretty sound. My first MOT with it picked up some slight corrosion by one of the trailing arm mounts which they said would be OK with a rub down and treatment as long as I didn't leave it too long. Soon afterwards my son and myself were wire-brushing away and treating and painting. Others much newer I looked at had not been anywhere near as decent underneath. There's certainly plenty of capacity for catching and holding mud at the back end. Batteries were really rough on mine but negotiated 2 new replacements.
Im gonna try to avoid going off topic.But the one thing that can fire me up is RUST on vehicles especially when its so avoidable we can blame salt/living on the coast/ lack of maintenance/ etc etc .. iv been to look at quite a lot of 4x4s recently not just Toyota. from the roof down and the interiors most are immaculate THEN you look underneath... Jeeeeeesus!! you end up walking away. wasted time /diesel/ its such a shame..Sorry I went off topic... most have good batteries tho. There back on topic

Sorry I went off topic... most have good batteries tho. There back on topic
Your thread. I'm as guilty. Sorry. Anyway the question relates to buying and it's still on topic for that.
you end up walking away. wasted time
Agreed. Research before especially if distance is a factor and maybe if a member is near and could look if they are able. The MOT history checker has been a hugely helpful resource for me though when looking at cars and I have ruled out quite a few based on that. Some people's welding is decent and others just won't last. Shame they don't give the testing station info any more though. They did briefly which gave the opportunity to see where it was likely used and potentially check the reputation of the garage online as well as see if when a vehicle failed whether it was returned to the same place for a retest or retried somewhere which may potentially be more lenient.

Thanks for that Bob.. Excuse my stupidity but would an Irish Colorado be in KMs ph .. iv messaged the seller he says its an import its KPH. it seems to look like a GX spec but with VX dash etc fake wood etc GX wheels it looks tidy. wasn't sure about the battery thing that's all.. cant think why someone would remove a battery

Irish Colorado/90s will all be in mph, as we didn't change to eurometres until 2004. UK trucks are better spec inside usually. No difflock on ours or air-con.. but I'd imagine you'd never see one for sale in the UK, all would be jap imports. Only thing I'd be wary of with them is mileage, whether it's genuine.. but these things run till doomsday if they get serviced

Back