Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sirio high power 3000

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
Just fitted a Sirio high power 3000 to the 80 ready for this years trip and can't seem to get the SWR reading down :(

I have mounted it on the front ARB and made sure the powder coating was removed from the hole to get a good grounding. But for some reason the SWR reading is about 3 on channel 40 and 2.4 on channel 1, that is with the whip in its lowest position. If I extend the whip the reading goes higher.

Is it okay to trim the length of the whip down? Has anyone else had to do this?

This had to be done on my HP Sirio 3000, but I had no Idea how to do it safely myself so got it done at http://www.4x4cb.com/ down near Dorking. He trimmed the whip, but I'm not sure by how much, anyone with CB knowhow should be able to do it for you.

Thanks Chas, I took the plunge half an hour ago and ended up cutting about 80mm off the top of the whip, SWR now 1.1 on channel 1 and 1.5 on channel 40 :dance:

I had to do the same with the Orbitor antenna 18 months ago but I thought this was due to it being mounted on an aluminum roof rack :think:

i trimmed about 60-80mm off the whip on my Sirio too to get SWR better

Bat21 said:
Is it okay to trim the length of the whip down? Has anyone else had to do this?
They're all like it Paul, don't know why but they are. Do you know about the problem with the casting snapping off where it goes into the coil if you catch the whip low down? The adjustable part that snaps can be replaced with something more solid.

Jon Wildsmith said:
They're all like it Paul, don't know why but they are.
Thanks for that Jon, it's nice to know I'm not the only one who had the problem :thumbup:

Jon Wildsmith said:
Do you know about the problem with the casting snapping off where it goes into the coil if you catch the whip low down? The adjustable part that snaps can be replaced with something more solid.
Yes thanks Jon you mentioned it a while ago when I asked, it's only taken me 15 months to get my act together and fit one :D

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Must be old age making me forget things Paul :lol: I can still do the fix for them if you ever need it.

Jon Wildsmith said:
Must be old age making me forget things Paul :lol: I can still do the fix for them if you ever need it.
Old age.... tell me about it, I have to double check everything I do these days.

Hey Jon, if you could make one up it might be worth me keeping it in the truck just in case :thumbup:

Back