Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Paul

Garage
Country Flag
england
Right then, i have signed up for skype as might be doing some overseas stuff soon, downloaded and registered but what is the best hardware for connecting to the pc? Do i need a headset or something? Never used skype before.

All a headset does is plug into the mic and headphones outputs on your PC/laptop (unless you get a fancy one). I haven't come across a laptop without an inbuilt mic (ive only been using laptops for the last 4 years) if not you will need a microphone, any cheap one will do. and for sound you could use your speakers or headphones.

Almost all webcams have built in mikes.
Then just listen through lap top speaker

Graham

If you want to video call then you need a webcam, inbuilt or plugged in.

I use Skype quite a bit and use a headset for the 'mic' bit and the loose stereo speakers. I simply didn't plug in the headset earphone socket. Whatever you use, Skype seems to be rather mic sensitive so worthwhile experimenting a bit.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
MACs, he said smugly, all have a built in camera and mic ideal for Skype and ichat.

Chris

Cheers guys, the laptops i have do have inbuilt cameras and mikes but have never really found them much good, the same with the inbuilt mikes on external webcams. I think the way to go will be the handset that looks like a normal phone as i will be in areas of limited connection speed so the cam might not be much good.

Why do all MAC users think they have made the right choice? They are always smug about it too :roll: Overpriced hardware with a very restrictive OS which treats you like a child IMO.

(runs for cover)

ah well, here we go,

i drive a landcruiser for the same sort of reasons i use macs.

Yes, but macs constantly go wrong, need replacing and are more show than go, how is that like an LC?

(now i'm ducking and running for cover :twisted: )

If a Landcruiser was a mac then it would be a landrover underneath with a flashy landcruiser body on top with traction control you can never turn off, cost twice as much as the landrover and when it breaks you need to cut the body off unlike the landrover where you can lift it off.

(now wearing full body amour :mrgreen: )

he he

I'm in agreement.

If Apple made LC's you would only be allowed to use Apple-Diesel™ , and if you wanted to jailbreak your LC to run on regular diesel your warranty would be voided.

Need a new wheel? Apple sell their own proprietary wheel with a unique number of bolts which thereby prevents you from using the spare wheels sitting in your garage :roll:

ignat said:
Need a new wheel? Apple sell their own proprietary wheel with a unique number of bolts which thereby prevents you from using the spare wheels sitting in your garage :roll:

They will sell you the wheel but you would have to go to the apple store because they hold the locking wheel but key.

Paul said:
Right then, i have signed up for skype as might be doing some overseas stuff soon, downloaded and registered but what is the best hardware for connecting to the pc? Do i need a headset or something? Never used skype before.

Hi Paul

Just to confuse you and nothing to do with your set up !

I have skype on my mobile phone

And if you can get wifi on your phone you can use Nimbuzz or Fring to log onto your skype account to make calls over wifi. Skype for some reason will not let you make calls over wifi on your phone. This method is a bit of a PITA but it is useful sometimes.

Mac V PC

I'm not getting into this. Why? Simple. You know that you are all wrong. And you know that I know that. ;)

Why do Land Rover owners tell you all the bad things about Toyotas like 'ooh they're expensive on parts'. Simple, because they know how unreliable theirs are and wish they had a Toyota. So why do PC users say bad things about Macs - hey, you work it out. I own 2 Macs. How often have they gone wrong in 5 years? Never. How much time do I spend fixing them? None. How many viruses have I had to deal with? None. How much time can I then spend using it instead of worrying about it? Oh now I am being smug.

Bought a Mac Book for the family so that when they screwed it up, I could reset it all without worrying about what was on it. How many times have they managed that? A five year old, ten year old and my WIFE!! Never.

OK, I don't actually like the strangle hold that comes along with Apple on somethings. They are a bit naughty at times. But know what? Their stuff is bloody good. Well made, well designed and works great. Maybe that's why I bought a white 80. It's a MAC :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards all

Chris

With you their fellow Mac owner.

I use 5 Macs, including and old slow 10 year old clunker that still does the job is was set up to do. Hmmm, now when did i last have to restart it, oh yeah, that was it - 4 odd years back, I think.

We all know why we bought what we bought. If you are happy with your pc that good news. We are happy with ze macs, so thats good news too.

Anyway - back to skype eh guys. great service. we use the monthly paid service to make all out local and europe calls, for pennies. has reduced our phone spend considerably.

Paul, if you plan to make a lot of calls it;s worth getting a comfortable head set with a decent mic. Its good with Nimbuzz when you are near a wireless router you can access.

Re: Mac V PC

Chris said:
I'm not getting into this. Why? Simple. You know that you are all wrong. And you know that I know that. ;)

Why do Land Rover owners tell you all the bad things about Toyotas like 'ooh they're expensive on parts'. Simple, because they know how unreliable theirs are and wish they had a Toyota. So why do PC users say bad things about Macs - hey, you work it out. I own 2 Macs. How often have they gone wrong in 5 years? Never. How much time do I spend fixing them? None. How many viruses have I had to deal with? None. How much time can I then spend using it instead of worrying about it? Oh now I am being smug.

Bought a Mac Book for the family so that when they screwed it up, I could reset it all without worrying about what was on it. How many times have they managed that? A five year old, ten year old and my WIFE!! Never.

OK, I don't actually like the strangle hold that comes along with Apple on somethings. They are a bit naughty at times. But know what? Their stuff is bloody good. Well made, well designed and works great. Maybe that's why I bought a white 80. It's a MAC :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards all

Chris

Chris i think you are tempting fate i hope your holding a bit of wood ( if you believe in all that) :D

Joe

Rob said:
And if you can get wifi on your phone you can use Nimbuzz or Fring to log onto your skype account to make calls over wifi. Skype for some reason will not let you make calls over wifi on your phone. This method is a bit of a PITA but it is useful sometimes.
Hi Rob

The skype I have is used over the mobile network, not via Wifi

Back