Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sleeping bag

Paul_Humphreys

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Right I have decided to get a new sleeping bag. I just want a good warm one. I have looked at the RAB one, but at up to £300 that is a bit much for my likeing.

So I am looking into getting an ex-army one. Now whitch one do I get and where from?

Paul

Paul_Humphreys said:
So I am looking into getting an ex-army one. Now whitch one do I get and where from?

Paul
If you mean the old 58 pattern feather filled one, if you don't have the liner in you get stabbed all night, if you do have a liner you ended up wrapped up like a mummy. Inevitably all the feathers seem to go missing so you may as well take a couple of newspapers to sleep under, and the base is as waterproof as a teabag.

How about one of these?

You the second person to say not to get an ex-army one. So it is a no go. I have sleeping bag now, but just want a warmer one. for not too much money as I only use it about 4-6 night a year.

Paul

I am in the same boat. My aussie down bag isn't warm enough. I've been looking at waterproof bivvy bags to supplement it. Can't recommend as am on the road but google bivvy bags as there are some bigger ones that would be fine in a tent - who wants to sleep outside the tent in winter.

The other thing I have looked at is a flece sleeping bag liner. Just to up it a little.

Paul

I couldn't get the old style 'Arctic sleeping system' or whatever it was called. So I went with the current MOD one. This one zips up the middle so it's very distinctive. I slept out in February this year. It was about -5. The outer tent still had sheets of ice on it when I woke up. In conjunction with one of those self inflating mats, I wasn't cold at all. I think I paid about £30 from an army surplus place. I got a really good quality compression sack to squeeze it down.

I would like a RAB one too, but for vehicle camping as opposed to back packing size isn't that important. It's a good bag.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The new issue ones are really good, not filled with feather but with a synthetic liner, they squash down really small and only weigh around 2 kilos. I've used mine in Norway, in a snow hole on west Falkland and they're even still warm when they're soaking wet.

Loads of them in army surplus stores and well worth investing in, but if you're a 6 footer make sure you get the extra long one.

Tommo perhaps when you have time you could post the mil part number from the label?

Mine is in the bottom of my bergen at the moment but i'll get you a stock number. in fact, if it can wait till monday i'll see if there are any lying around.

Tommo&Claire said:
http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/camping-equipment/sleeping-bags/new-large-size-genuine-army-issue-427955.html

It's this one but let me check around the section first.
I have one of those (from there), unless the temp drops below zero I have to sleep with it mostly open! It's wider than a mummy bag (I have the large) but I still find it a bit restrictive and wonder how bigger folk manage so if it's not so cold I make do with a -5 bag!

Back