Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Slop/Slap

k1elliott

Hi All,

One the niggles that I've been slowly trying to diagnose over the past year is the slop in the drivetrain. When applying throttle from a coast I can get a moderate to severe slap depending how aggressive I am with the pedal. Happily for the car I am light of foot.

However, it's bugging me and I can't help but think that I am causing damage by leaving it untreated.

A lot of commentators say that slap/slop is standard for these vehicles but I'm not so sure. Either way, I am a perfectionist and want it gone. It also shows itself when I put it in gear with footbrake applied but to a lesser extent.

To the point. I was working on the front end and noticed that I can turn one wheel almost 20 degrees before the opposing wheel starts to turn in the opposite direction with any meaning. Can anybody confirm that this is typical behaviour? I suspect that this slop may be a factor in the slap. It definitely feels like its coming from the front. I've recently replaced the front diff support arm to little or no advantage

The shaft turned so I'm thinking inner shaft gear or the diff iteslf? (pardon terminology)

Cheers,
Ken.

Ken

I've had similar issues (see post on drivetrain slap on the TLCUK forum). I changed a bunch of bushes, mounts and universal joints, all sourced from Ian Rubie. I've reduced the slap noticably but it's still there. What experiences have you had since April?

Hi there,

I saw the thread on tloc and I think I would get some reduction in slap if I renewed more bushings. I've replaced the mount arm on the front diff and it gave a slight improvement.

The biggest improvement to date has been with the TC overhaul but not sure how that may have helped. Perhaps the smoother pickup in drive lessens the severeness of the slap.

I suppose I should get my ass in gear and renew all of the front diff mounts and uj's before I look at the front axle.

I'd still be interetsed to know whether its normal behaviour to be able to turn one front wheel a fair bit before the far side responds.

Cheers,
Ken

k1elliott said:
I'd still be interetsed to know whether its normal behaviour to be able to turn one front wheel a fair bit before the far side responds.
I've never measured the degrees of motion but 20 sounds about right. There are a lot of moving parts with some small slack in them to take up.

Just about to add to the long list of bits replaced, shock bushes / cushions, upper / lower suspension arm bushes, ball joints and stabilizer links - i'll post again when she's on the road! I think that would then be everything. Any slop left would then be (I assume) gearbox, diffs, transferbox etc.

Always in search of perfection... always disappointed :cry:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
you'll never get rid of the slop completely from a 4x4 drivertain.

Backlash settings on all the differentials means that there is inherently some slop in the system- even rebuilding all the diffs to the tightest tolerances will still leave some slop.

its part and parcel of driving a 4x4!

I've never had a brand new LC, so does this mean that you can feel a bit of slap straight out of the showroom? I've driven a brand new RR Sport :oops: and there was no slap that I could notice on that... would that be why Landrovers break so many diffs, tranfer boxes ect? I.E made so tight that parts become strained very quickly...

I don't feel any slop/slap in my drive train and I don't remember feeling any when I test drove Peter Penny's oil burner. When looking at bush's have you looked at the back axle and especially the upper control arms? You could try removing one of the prop shafts and locking the centre diff, go for a drive, swap props round so only the other one is fitted, go for another drive, compare, is it any different one axle to the other?

Hi mate

Sounds promising... I should have the truck back together by Weds. So I'll give it a try. Thanks :thumbup:

Just thought I report back. Drive train slap has again reduced (although still very slightly evident). I'm guessing that the upper / lower / suspension bushes and shock bushes have made some difference. Finally plan to fit new bushes to rear axle control arms any slop / slap after this will need to stay.

Back