Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Slow Windows (voltage drop)

You don't want any sort of 'wet' lube on the window rubbers IMO. It may ease the situation temporarily but in the long term all it does is attract dirt/debris which clogs the glass channels and makes things worse.

Everything smells to a certain extent, I can't say I've noticed Ballistol to be any worse than say WD40, but I don't go squirting it up my nose to find out. :laughing-rolling:

And there you were Shayne grinding up Bisadol tablets and pouring the powder down the glass channels. :icon-biggrin:.

Back to the windows, I have no doubt the problem is VD..........no not that one silly ´voltage drop´, sorry I thought I was on another forum.

Just like the 80 headlights, the connectors/wiring/switches/relays/fuses all play there part with age and voltage does not want to go where we tell it anymore. Now without ripping out the entire lot there is an easier way. You need to grab a relay and mount it in the door, 85 Earth, 86 from the window motor supply, 87 to the motor and now need a decent positive to the 30 and job done. The voltage dropped wiring simply operates the relay, the real power comes from the new wire you run into the door from the body, the central locking cable is not heavy enough. I am fitting puddle lights under the doors and was going to be using the pos from the central locking motors but, I might as well run a decent cable through to power the windows and light at the same time.

regards

Dave

I'm interested how this works out Dave.

I've always thought 80 wiring looks lightweight, but assumed mr T knew what he was doing. If you get good results from fitting the relay and a hefty live wire, I might give that a go myself.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think Toyota had it right back then Clive but, wiring asides along with the part Chris mentioned, and the roller joinerman posted up it is all about age.

I will eventually o the rubbers but about to embark on the rewire of my 12 volt starter mod. It was put in a few year back now and I never did get around to fitting the proper starter and cabling. If Karl does not hurt me too much with the bit he is sending over I want to get that done first. Windows wiring will be next though.

regards

Dave

Well new rubbers was considered to be ultimate cure and as everyone announced miraculous cures, lately it seems a percentage are still having problems. My rubbers are 21 years old this year, but my only problem is in the wet. I've tried WD 40 and Chas' 'Bi-So-Dol' (tee hee) without success, so watching this with interest.

Clive, what ballistol did you use? This one?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 124
Well the Ballistol in the link kindly provided by Chas arrived very quickly indeed and i've just found 5 minutes to give it a go . In an ironic twist of fate i have also just inherited a stopwatch so i can tell you that 4.5 and 4 seconds to raise front windows stop to stop is reduced to 3 seconds on both following application .

A temporary fix maybe but only time will tell .

Tropical dream... Mm mm, sounds good! No, it was a little aerosol that barely had enough in it for 4 Windows, sadly no improvement.

I will end up changing the rubbers, but for now it can wait.
How much did you squirt on Clive? I'm still using my can.

How much did you squirt on Clive? I'm still using my can.

I thought I put it on sparingly Chas, but it didn't seem to go far. By choice, I'd have used twice that much.

No prob as I say, one day I'll get new rubbers. In the dry, I don't have a problem, and Summer's on its way...:thumbup:

Back