Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Smokin'

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
This morning on my way to work I had lovely black smoke pouring out the exhaust. I could easily see it swirling around the rear window. Engine was just under 1/4 warm. Accelerating made it much thicker (word has it the cloud has now drifted to Moscow :cool: ) On a level road with CC on, it was still doing it.

As the engine warmed up and got to just under 1/2 mark, it did it's usual change of tone (EGR valve closing?) and the smoke went away. No amount of punishment could get it to smoke.

At lunchtime today I took it for a spin and no smoke on a "cold" engine.
I'll see in the morning what it does with a proper cold engine.

What could it be?

Gummed up EGR valve? Dunno what causes this really, but it seems 'popular' at the moment.

C

A while back Locrep asked if it smoked when cold. We were talking about the EGR valve at the time so I suspect it would be related. I had it out last weekend and cleaned it up. Maybe something has either come loose (the vacuum pipes that open it) or something else.

When my part arrives from Mr Rubie I'll take a look.

Could be over fuelling a bit when cold. Keep an eye out for a few days and judge from there.

Crispin said:
What could it be?

The infamous injectors about to let go? :angry-screaming:

Wind-up aside, it does sound like an over-fuelling issue - does the EGR affect fuelling? Presumably it all drives normally, no loss of power or anything?

Crispin said:
A while back Locrep asked if it smoked when cold. We were talking about the EGR valve at the time so I suspect it would be related. I had it out last weekend and cleaned it up. Maybe something has either come loose (the vacuum pipes that open it) or something else.

When my part arrives from Mr Rubie I'll take a look.

If it ain't broke, you can't fix it.

Graham

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Andrew - Think it's time to swap it and see. Bloody expensive test :(

Not sure if the EGR affects fuelling but pretty certain it's controlled by the ECU which in turn would alter the fuelling when it's warm. Must be a link.

Lacking the ability to read the ECU, I either have to take it to another Mr-T or change the injector and hope it's the right choice.

Large clouds that obscure following cars when accelerating after periods of calm easy driving.

Sound familiar? :shock:

What was your conclusion??? Break it to me gently........

If it is black smoke it is fuel, if it is blue it is oil, and if its blue and white it probably the turbo.

if it is black it is probably the compensation valves on the injectors over fueling unnecessarily, but to test that get it booked in at the dealership and the will be able to tell if it is the injectors within minutes.

Mr-T said it is normal. When asking he interrupted "is it after driving in traffic or slowly?" It happens everytime after I have been pottering in traffic. Get an open section and give it wellie, it'll smoke like a tank. No smoke though if you nice to it.
After initial burst, nothing until you again potter around in traffic.

Not sure what the technical explanation is. Cleaning out the EGR valve did not, IIRC, make much difference.

I hope it's not an injector waiting in the side lines.

It is some thing to do with the air / fuel ratio, thats for sure.

1/ too much fuel
2/ too little air
3/ engine management / computer error / input to computer error (ie loose engine temperature or water temperature plug)

I haven't heard of that many turbo's letting go, but it has been known.

Hope it is a simple plug loose, and just making poor contact.

Gra.

Back