Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Snorkels

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
Having seen many photos on snorkels on various vehicles one thing always strikes me..... why do most folk have the air intake pointing forward?

I have to admit that when I first fitted mine I had it pointing to the front.... but after thinking about it, it was turned to face the rear and has been that way ever since.

Its meant to be the RAM AIR effect but im sure ive read that it makes no difference on mpg/performance what ever way it goes.

Joe

silvercruiser said:
Its meant to be the RAM AIR effect......
:D maybe if the 80 could reach speeds of >500mph it might work but at normal driving speeds that's never going to happen.

i ran mine both ways - better mg backwards for me so its lived that way ever since.

They are designed to face forward, that gives a ram air pressure to aid the air flow, and overcome the additional resistance of the additional trunking.

Safari snorks are designed to shed rain water sucked in by the head design which allows it to drain out the side. Not all the cheapos do this.

If you face rearward you are likely to create a small vacuum at the entry and reduce the air flow efficiency and at high speeds you could possibly detect a reduction in engine power as it struggles to suck enough air in.

If you google "self bailers" you should find out enough to explain, but are basically a hole in the bottom of a boat that sucks the water out whilst moving along.

But again, if you like it that way, it's yours !

They look better facing forward.
They look stupid pointing backwards.

---Sorry guys---

Gra.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
look great facing back, mentally challenged facing forward :whistle: ... sorry Graham :lol:
there is no advantage to running them facing forward. if you do feel that a ram effect is available then face it towards the wind screen, the air being forced off the glass will be forced into the head.

i have tried all directions over the decades and the advantage to the glass or to the back is the lack of leaves, debris and the slim chance of a tree branch taking out that $25 plastic screen.

mine pointed forward on the road and when off road towards the n/s/r wheel .. (opposite rear corner to snorkel)

Calling Crispin :whistle:

Im sure i remember Crispin having a little episode with his snorkel head :D

I can't find the post. Wonder if it was on the "other" forum...

I would say for "on the road" point forward
[attachment=3:2euf5o22]snorks fwd.jpg[/attachment:2euf5o22]
Then spin it around for the off road jaunts.
[attachment=2:2euf5o22]snorks aft.jpg[/attachment:2euf5o22]
[attachment=1:2euf5o22]snorks aft1.jpg[/attachment:2euf5o22]
Or if your name begins with "B", you can have "Snorkels 'a Port"
[attachment=0:2euf5o22]snorks a port.jpg[/attachment:2euf5o22]
:lol: :lol:

Gra.

Attachments

• snorks fwd.jpg
    snorks fwd.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 150
  • snorks aft.jpg
    snorks aft.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 135
  • snorks aft1.jpg
    snorks aft1.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 144
  • snorks a port.jpg
    snorks a port.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 153
Forward facing can be bad if things get a bit deeper than you planned!

July20078.jpg

"B" is your uncle

Attachments

• armor 001.jpg
    armor 001.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 111
  • crap 003.jpg
    crap 003.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_3342.JPG
    IMG_3342.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 118
  • _102_6048.JPG
    _102_6048.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0748.JPG
    IMG_0748.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 100
I must remember the sideways thing when it next snows :whistle: :whistle:

OK, I am stumped,

Forwards, I can understand
Backwards I can understand.

But pointing to Port, just has me[strike:2cpxnht3]fucked.[/strike:2cpxnht3] confused

(Anothe big night out eating adn drinking, sorry fpolks.)

Gra.

well, i had an engineer for a customer a while back and he (supposedly) did the research :think: and came up with the most air flow is going to be displaced wind flow from the windshield. the wind, i guess, doesn't just flow up and over but off to the sides a lot.
i never did a wind tunnel test but it sure keeps the plastic from busting and way less bugs and leaves getting in.

<shrug>

personally, i like the way it looks :shock: ... but then i have been told i am a bit ... different. :whistle:

of course the factory snorkle seems to work best in the winter, no snow to the air box ...

Attachments

• Jan 28 2011 049.jpg
    Jan 28 2011 049.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 79
  • Jan 28 2011 005.jpg
    Jan 28 2011 005.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 82
Generally my snorkel head faces forwards, as i think it looks best. :twisted:

But i always have mine loose enough, so that if/when it starts raining heavily, or im about to drive a tight lane, i wind the window down and turn the head round to face backwards. :thumbup:

in the pic above that Gra posted, it got knocked around by an overhanging branch on a lane! :naughty:

Back