Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Solar Panel and Fridge

desertpaddler

Hi all,

I'm not sure if I should post this here or in the 'Electrics' section but I think it's more gear than electrical mods.

I recently bought a solar panel to help power my fridge/freezer on multi-day trips and recently did a write-up on how it worked on it's shake-down trip. I thought some of you planning something similar might be interested.

Unfortunately, as I've been inactive on this forum for quite some time the rules prevent me from posting the URL, so if anyone is interested then PM me (or you can go via the pagelink in my sig.) I don't want to incur the wrath of the admins.

Also, if anyone has comments and further experience on solar panels and how they play with split charge systems I'd be interested in your feedback. I emailed the manufacturer of my split charger and they said it was not an issue, this may not be true of all systems.

Last edited:
An interesting read Craig, actually you're the only (other) member (that I'm aware of) with an HZJ80... welcome back!

Thanks. To be honest, I think I'm the only person in the whole of Dubai with an HZJ80. In the 8.5 years i've been here I've not seen another.

My experience of the Middle East was Qatar in 2005/6. Petrol was 12 Euro cents a liter (equivalent) and most offroad and 4x4 vehicles had the biggest most powerful engine options available. I didn't see a single private car running on diesel, that was only used in commercial trucks.

Dubai and Abu Dhabi appeared to be the same, in the few weeks that I stayed in each.

Fuel prices have doubled now but they're still insignificant compared with Europe.

Back