Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

*Solved* Installing a radio to LJ73

Omoitsurugi

Country Flag
united_states
*SOLVED*

The old radio ended up being an after market radio anyways, I undid the whole rat's nest that was behind and redid it all. going to try to do something a little more permanent in about a month since the left speaker is blown.

Has anyone installed a modern radio into a 1989 LJ73?

My truck had the original radio in it, however it's seen better days as it has no face plate missing the knobs and numbers to know what station is on.

So I jumped in and bought a new radio, nothing fancy, just something that had am/fm and Bluetooth. No cc player or tape player. I did not buy speakers (thinking this was a mistake but I can always buy some).

I am going to cannibalize the old radio, RIP. Reuse the wired connection on the back so I don't have to try and buy an adapter.

I just have two questions, if you installed a new radio, what did you do with the negative leads for the speaker hook up? And what wire did you connect the continuous power to that the battery didn't die?

Thank you,
Andrew

Last edited:
im doing mine soon. the earth and ignition live i'm going to take off the cigarette lighter. in the spaghetti in the dash there is already a loose permanent live which ive taped the end of. i've got the Ford socket hook up for my radio from which ive removed the Ford attachment leaving a load of loose wires. They are all labelled. I can send pics if you need.

im doing mine soon. the earth and ignition live i'm going to take off the cigarette lighter. in the spaghetti in the dash there is already a loose permanent live which ive taped the end of. i've got the Ford socket hook up for my radio from which ive removed the Ford attachment leaving a load of loose wires. They are all labelled. I can send pics if you need.

I appreciate it, I wouldn't mind a picture of some labels, there's one set of wires that weren't attached to anything that I'm wondering where they go, so before I got and rip it all out to find the source itd be nice to see if you have the wires as well.

As for the radio I've got it installed now, no problem just had to get through the rats nest the previous "pro" did. I'm looking to replace the cigarette lighter with possibly a just plain USB power, since I don't smoke and I don't want anyone smoking in the car, but that's another project for another time.

*SOLVED*

The old radio ended up being an after market radio anyways, I undid the whole rat's nest that was behind and redid it all. going to try to do something a little more permanent in about a month since the left speaker is blown.

Has anyone installed a modern radio into a 1989 LJ73?

My truck had the original radio in it, however it's seen better days as it has no face plate missing the knobs and numbers to know what station is on.

So I jumped in and bought a new radio, nothing fancy, just something that had am/fm and Bluetooth. No cc player or tape player. I did not buy speakers (thinking this was a mistake but I can always buy some).

I am going to cannibalize the old radio, RIP. Reuse the wired connection on the back so I don't have to try and buy an adapter.

I just have two questions, if you installed a new radio, what did you do with the negative leads for the speaker hook up? And what wire did you connect the continuous power to that the battery didn't die?

Thank you,
Andrew

Continous power doesn’t really draw much current so there is not much too worry, in any case I required mine directly to the second battery

Back