Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Something Chris mentioned

Julian

Chris said:
Incidentally, come Jan 2011, this tyre will no longer be available in the UK due to some EU nonsense. Unless, Cooper find a solution in the meantime. I may buy another one before then.

C

Do you know what nonsense this is? Jon mentioned some time back that Camskill didn't want to sell him some tyres a while back, do we think we won't be able to buy mud tyres in the not to distant future?
Is this why BF Goodrich changed the Mud Terrain, I recently read that the BF Goodrich KM2 is quieter than the BF Goodrich All Terrain, so that they will be able to sell them after January

Looks like EU tyre labelling laws which seen to have been creeping around for a while. The laws seem to be linked to fuel efficiency and quietness etc etc accoring to this report. doesn't look promising. Continental doesn't look happy.

Next thing they'll want curved bananas - oh hang on they've done that. :banana-dance: :banana-dreads: :banana-explosion: :banana-fingers:

Not a clue. But I would bet that Simon has nailed it.

C

Seems to be a noise issue with MT tyres. This bit is interesting :geek: :

Brands slated as failing already on the new figures and not be available to sell (from 2011) are:

Avon ZZ3, Admiral, Chengshan, Falken, Fortuna, Federal, Goodride, Hankook, Kenda, Kumho, Linglong, Matador, Maxiss, Milestone, Nankang NS2, Nexen, Rotalla, Semperit, Sumo firenza, Sunny, Toyo, Triangle, Viking, and Wanli.
I found a good explanation of the potential implications in a pistonhead thread

That would conclude with why BF Goodrich changed the Mud Terrain
Doesn't look good for cheaper tyres, those pesky Eurocrats

My concern is for the extreme Simex type tyres. I can not see people re-developing what is essentially a 100% off road tyre to pass an EU noise test.

Ian

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I agree Ian, perhaps there days are numbered. I wonder when these requirements will be put into the MOT
Perhaps a bit of stock piling might be an option, if the MOT inclusion is a long way in the future
How do people get on with US DOT tyres?

MOT inclusion will be the turning point, but I guess people will just fit compliant tyres for one day a year. A bit like the way my handbrake only works from MOT day until the 1st off road trip . . .

Here's a new line to this thread on the new EU regs I've just stumbled over this on another forum :)

i spoke to a tyre supplier today who told me about the new EU regs coming in.

he told me that the reason that insa, kuhmo, cooper etc. can no longer import and sell tyres in Europe, is absoloutly nothing to do with, road noise, tread pattern etc. etc.

its to do with the fact that these companies make the tyres using dirty/used oil, and the new regs state that this isnt allowed under the new EU rules.

not sure how true that is, but thats what he told me!
Interesting :think:

Back