Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Something Different...

They would look quite different side by side...

Definitely different alright! Worth it if you're a rich Tron fan no doubt but, if I had that sort of money to spend on a bike I 'd have me one of these...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Norton-NO...872931?hash=item2ee7e27263:g:904AAOSwT5tWNLtl

Couldnt resist a browse on tinterweb when I saw this TP, and I couldn't believe how advanced some of the Vincent technology was between the wars. Cantilever rear suspension in 1922 and the new V twin engine in 1936. In 1946 he developed the first V twin engine integral with the frame...

Cutting-edge stuff in those days.

From what I've read, does this Norvin have that 1,000 cc V twin in a Norton "featherbed" frame?

As well as an old 1947 BSA C10L 250cc single, side valve and a 1952 BSA C11G 250cc single OHV, I had a 1955 Norton 600 single, and scars on my "kick starter" leg to prove it. Hard as nails that thing was, I think it was a 19R or something similar, I know the R stood for rigid. :?

Wonderful pieces of machinery though...

The "Norvin" started out as an idea, culminating in one off builds by enthusiasts wanting the superior handling of the Norton FB frame with the grunt of the legendary Vincent 1000 V2 first seen in the series A Vincent Rapide of the mid 1930's. An attempt at regular production was made by a few people but very few numbers were made this way although 'new' Norvins are still available under a different name. Still a formidable motorcycle today and a well turned out one is a beautiful sight to behold.....and hear!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The "Norvin" started out as an idea, culminating in one off builds by enthusiasts wanting the superior handling of the Norton FB frame with the grunt of the legendary Vincent 1000 V2 first seen in the series A Vincent Rapide of the mid 1930's. An attempt at regular production was made by a few people but very few numbers were made this way although 'new' Norvins are still available under a different name. Still a formidable motorcycle today and a well turned out one is a beautiful sight to behold.....and hear!

Beautiful indeed TP.

A far-cry from the Tron bike, but both have their "beauty" I suppose, but I know what I admire the most...

Wasn't the Featherbed a twin cradle frame that ran below the engine? on that Norvin the engine forms part of the frame.
Marvellous bike though, a thing of beauty, I've put it on my eBay watching list just so I can look at it now and again, when my premium bonds turn up trumps I'll have it.

Last edited:
The original FB frame was indeed a full cradle type. The Ebay bike is a HMR restored bike using a wideline FB frame modified to use the engine as a stressed member but still essentially a Norvin. http://www.mikethebike.com/picts/hmr/HMR_brochure.pdf
As 'original' Norvins were all one offs there's no real hard design blueprint for one other than the use of the big Vinny V2 and the Norton frame. I guess re-engineering the frame to lose the cradle and use the engine itself as a load bearing frame member would be beyond most Norvin building enthusiasts back in the day, keeping the cradle would be much easier.

But they all have two wheels missing…… i mean c'mon !!

Back