Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Something fell of my 80!

Garage
This fell off my 80 as I reversed in my driveway this morning. I took it offroading last night but nothing too serious just some light tracks but about a foot of water deep in places.

The engine seems to be held in place solidly still and the gearbox isn't sagging. Any ideas what this is?
There has been a knocking noise from the front for the last week, since this has come off it hasn't got any worse.

It has sheared off on the right hand side of the item as you look at it in the photograph.

45894_463878807888_581837888_6407029_591388_n.jpg

Any ideas?
I will put it on a ramp later on and check it out but kind of want to know now!

Well it's not an engine, gearbox or axle mounting ;) I'm thinking exhaust hanger but that's a bit of a guess.

It looks a bit excessive for an exhaust hanger but then again it came off a Landcruiser so whatever it is it'll be twice the size of a normal one.

I like this game :D :D :D

I have no idea what it is & thought someone was just going to pop up & say its a.........?????????

So I'll take a punt @ it just for fun :D ;) Is it a cam belt tensioning pulley :?: :lol: ;)

No No I've got it :) sorry I was just being silly :roll: It's a stappler :p :p :p

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D ;)

It's obvious innit, it's a thingamajig that goes on the whatsit to adjust the pulley :lol:
Chas

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Body mount???????

Maybe it was debris picked up when off roading :think:

Paul said:
Maybe it was debris picked up when off roading :think:
That was my guess - a piece of a dead LR at the bottom of a mudhole :lol: Although it seems too well preserved for a LR...

Well James, I have just crawled under my truck and the missus one and can't see owt like it on either one.

There are some pretty substantial exhaust hangers on OEM 80 series exhausts though I've never seen a petrol system. Hard to be sure of the scale of it from that shot but it's not a body mount. Work out what's knocking and you might find out where the bracket came from.

Going to get it on a ramp in a bit once the workshop dies down and work out if it's safe to drive or not.
Then work out how to fix it!

James

Just had another look at the gaffers petrol motor. Have a look at the hanger for the rearmost silencer i.e. the one behind the rear wheel.

Looks similar............I think :think:

Ecky Thump said:
James

Just had another look at the gaffers petrol motor. Have a look at the hanger for the rearmost silencer i.e. the one behind the rear wheel.

Looks similar............I think :think:

Yes that is what it is!
Although it was the hanger near the cats that has come off.

Alas my LC has decided to go wrong again this morning. Now and again it makes this grinding noise from the front of the vehicle that can be felt through the floor near the pedals. The noise is linked to road speed and is difficult to make it do it, I'd say it has some to do with right hand turns and/or the n/s/f wheel going over bumps...

Sigh.... Best get it on a ramp again tonight. MOT's due in a month too!

Hmm sounds like you need to check the wheel bearings asap! Might be a steering knuckle bearing too - checking these means stripping the front knuckles right down.
Check the brake pads too - if a caliper has seized, it could be continuously grinding the pad onto the disk and the pad might be worn out as a consequence.

Andrew Prince said:
Hmm sounds like you need to check the wheel bearings asap! Might be a steering knuckle bearing too - checking these means stripping the front knuckles right down.
Check the brake pads too - if a caliper has seized, it could be continuously grinding the pad onto the disk and the pad might be worn out as a consequence.

It does sound worringly similar to the noise it was making when my o/s/f wheel bearing collapsed a few months back. But it is doing it periodically where as before it was constant.

I think I won't drive it for a bit and spend a whole day taking it to pieces and having a good look around and figure out what has gone wrong.

I don't exactly know what a steering knuckle bearing is but my steering has got increasingly more vague and the pull to the left has worsened recently which I put down to the tracking but maybe not.

Back