Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sound sys troubleshoot

James McClelland

Country Flag
united_states
Want to replace my stereo head for a touch screen nav. But right now I have a problem with my left side sound , none of the speakers on the left side or operating. I don't know if it's the wiring or if it's the amp or what . I do know that it's not the head because I swapped out a head that I knew was good. Anybody know about troubleshooting the sound system.

Use a multimeter set to ohms to test across the loudspeaker pairs at the head unit. You can also use a 9v battery to touch them onto for a second and listen for the click/ from the speakers. If nothing, do this at the speakers by removing the door card to gain access. If good then the wiring has a break in it. If the left side doors have had a lot of use, check where the wiring loom goes through at the doors. Gently release the rubber S from the door pillar and pull back to reveal the wires. Look for damage. Also there should be connectors within the body side. Check these. Also check for damaged wires behind the head unit. This is probably first place to look.
This of course assumes you have checked the balance control on your head unit is not set all the way to the right. :whistle:

Last edited:
Back