Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Spotlights

Gilbert v H

Hello

I am looking for spotlights, but have no idea what to choose. I have all the wiring already installed ("sports wiring system IPF" running from batteries??) from previous owner, but the lights are missing. So what to buy?

I do not want to spend a couple of hundreds on the lights, so is there are good alternative on a budget? Maybe somebody got something second hand?

Many thanks

i got britax on my lc they where around 25 pound plus vat i think from hgv direct
IMG_0016.jpg

I started out with two quite expensive ones that I bust off road. :thumbdown:
I replaced these with two 24v truck ones that I put 12v bulbs in. These lasted ages but eventually one of the brackets broke. :thumbdown:

Now I have four 55w e-bay specials that cost around a fiver each. At that price I don't care about condensation in them and I don't care if I break any. :thumbup:
They have been on the truck around two years now and are still fine. Massive amount of light for playing in the dark and I have left the two outer ones loose enough to move by hand if I need to. :idea: Has come in handy a couple of times I might add!!

DSCN2569.jpg

As you can see, Tommo had the posh toyota ones on his but the light output wasn't even close to mine.

Ecky Thump said:
I started out with two quite expensive ones that I bust off road. :thumbdown:
I replaced these with two 24v truck ones that I put 12v bulbs in. These lasted ages but eventually one of the brackets broke. :thumbdown:

Now I have four 55w e-bay specials that cost around a fiver each. At that price I don't care about condensation in them and I don't care if I break any. :thumbup:
They have been on the truck around two years now and are still fine. Massive amount of light for playing in the dark and I have left the two outer ones loose enough to move by hand if I need to. :idea: Has come in handy a couple of times I might add!!
Exactly as I was going to say the cheaper the better :thumbup: A 55w lamp is a 55w lamp @ the end of the day :D ;)

all 55w bulbs are not made equal though. some are better than others, although i expect there are laws of diminishing returns and i'm not sure the expense at the higher end of the market is justifiable unless you must have the greatest output at any cost.

likewise all reflectors are not made equal, but again you'll have a hard time convincing me that that piaa lamps are worth the premium.

i think you should just look for a reputable manufacturer and consider going second hand.

I agree Callum. I bought some ultra cheap bulbs and they were all different when lit. However, there were all rubbish so they were consistent at least. Super cheap is not good. Cheap is fine and some of the RIng products are absolutely fine. I think that when you buy the top end stuff, you are getting better reflectors that throw a well defined pattern and are also going to last a lifetime. But they aren't unbreakable nor are they theft proof. It's real balance. As fashion accessories go cheap. As life savers for driving across Namibia at night (cough) then spend the top money. In terms of roof lighting, I really like my X-Lites but they'd be daft on a bumper. I would love some PIAA etc but it's unlikely that I ever will. Very often the worst part of cheaper units is the mount.

Lil Blue has a set of four Britax lamps on there. They were about £35 each and are pretty good.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
callum said:
all 55w bulbs are not made equal though. some are better than others, although i expect there are laws of diminishing returns and i'm not sure the expense at the higher end of the market is justifiable unless you must have the greatest output at any cost.

likewise all reflectors are not made equal, but again you'll have a hard time convincing me that that piaa lamps are worth the premium.

i think you should just look for a reputable manufacturer and consider going second hand.
Point taken :D I was going to suggest RING as a good budget manufacturer in my last post but forgot to :roll: :D They have always served me well over the years :thumbup: Infact I'm just looking into using some of their LED day time running lights as a set of trail lights :D ;)

Back